Steam Launch Borkum by neptune - Krick - 1/12 scale - with steam engine built from Stuart Turner cas [COMPLETED BUILD]

How to perform a Basket Removalology,

359.jpg
Now a few post ago I said the Baker was going to be the Captain,
that is after I have removed his bread basket,

360.jpg
first cut,

361.jpg
Whilst performing the removal the Surgeon, ( local butcher ) also took his
arm off, it snapped under the pressure,

362.jpg
The arm with fingers still gripping the top of the basket, which needed trimming down,

363.jpg
most of the debris,

364.jpg
the new arm after being trimmed and new fingers carved,

365.jpg
and after a repaint with a new colour cap,

366.jpg
and finally standing in position at the helm, he has to have a coat of matt varnish yet,

Last edited:
Hi John,

Good to see you back in tge workshop.
Allthough it started as the Texas chain saw massacre the finall result is excellent.

G'day Maarten, I thought at the beginning that the complete figure was going to disintergrate, but I'm happy with the end result, I do not know whether to try and remove the apron or not.
Yes its good to be back at the work table, had a few ups and downs lately, also been transforming some of my outside shed as a cutting room as my main hobby room is attached to the house and the Admiral did not like the cutting drilling noises, so I had to come up with a solution, you know what they say, Happy Wife, Happy Life,

best regards John.

368.jpg
I finally decided to leave him with the apron, I thought there would be too many problems trying to carve it back,
I drilled two holes up through his legs, for pins to fix him to the deck,

369.jpg
After drilling the holes I placed a drill bit in each hole and pushed down to make an impression on the deck so I
would know where to drill the holes,

367.jpg
The holes were 1.2mm Dia, I then CA glued two stainless steel pins
up through the holes and into his legs, there is also another pin going
through his back and into the steering column just too make sure he
is stable, also he has been repainted and then given a coat of light
satin varnish,

366.jpg
a comparison pic of before the coat of varnish,

Last edited:
377.jpg
I have added the ships bell, in the plans it shows it attached to the deck at the side of the steering
column, but I didn't like this idea as it would be too wobbly when transporting the model so I have
attached it as above,

378.jpg
Close up view, I sprayed the bell and supporting brass attachment with a special lacquer to
prevent tarnishing,

379.jpg
I also did the same with the mounting for the forward light, it will end up being
glued in a hole drilled in the wood block just in front of it,

380.jpg
I also polished the boiler top and the funnel and and sprayed them with the same lacquer,

381.jpg
I also sprayed the steam engine as well,

382.jpg
To make sure the figures stayed in place I screwed them to the benches with a small screw, see next pic,

383.jpg

thank you for viewing my log,
best regards John.

View attachment 79092
I was going to put the batteries either side of the prop shaft under the seats, but decided to put them in front
of the drive motor as they would be lower down in the boat and help better with the buoyancy, it worked out
that I could just cut enough deck away to get them in width wise,

View attachment 79093
then I turned my attention to the steering servo, this shows the servo and the linkage over the plan, the red part
came as a cross shaped piece but I had to remove the other arms because they would be in the way when the
servo turned,

View attachment 79094
The servo and linkage in place,

View attachment 79095
next up was the receiver and electronic speed controller, this shows them wired up and under the starboard
bench seat, under the port bench seat is the battery holder and switch for the auxiliary motor that will turn
the steam engine,

View attachment 79096
and a view with the seats in place,

View attachment 79097
overall view of the engine and auxiliary motor set up,

Hi John, I’ve reached the spot in my build where I need to buy and install the radio control components. I know that I’ll need a servo for the rudder and another to operate the steam engine. I don’t have a clue as to what I need to buy. Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks, Rich Bockmann

Hi John,

Now find a pond and start sailing it, looking forward to the video. :)

G'day Maarten, we have a nice model boat pond in the parks just at the side of the City,
and I will definitely post a video when I finally get her on the water, still have a few small
things to finish first but hopefully it will not be too long away from sailing time,

best regards John,

Back