Steam Launch Borkum by neptune - Krick - 1/12 scale - with steam engine built from Stuart Turner cas [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hello John, Catching up on your Steam Launch Borkum, you sure have did a nice job on her with all of that very nice detail. Kind of makes me wish that I should have spent more time on my African Queen by adding more detail like you have. Great job on your rope walker and with such great results. You kind of make me wonder how you find all the time to build such a great little machine like you have just shown us.
Regards Lawrence

Thank you Lawrence, I sometimes wonder myself where I get the time, but I manage to squeeze it in somewhere, its my method of winding down and relaxing,

best regards John,

First Place Metal
View attachment 29884
This shows the internal workings of the Valve Chest

View attachment 29885
Shows the rod in place and the plate above waiting to be put in place

View attachment 29886
The valve plate in position

View attachment 29887
The plate pushed up showing the lower opening

View attachment 29888
The plate in the down position showing the upper opening,

View attachment 29889
shows the eccentric strap and rod just held in position, luckily at the moment everything seems to move Ok, fingers crossed.

Although this is a very late reply to the steam engine, it is clear that very few except machinists with the tools could complete this engine. Well done!! First Place Metal PT-2

Thanks guys for all the nice comments and likes, I'm sorry for the quality of the video but it was hard video and use the radio control at the same time,
Best regards John,
Don't sweat the small stuff. It all vanishes as does water condensate from invisible steam. How is the boiler fired and the furnace protected from the hull and flamables???? PT-2

Don't sweat the small stuff. It all vanishes as does water condensate from invisible steam. How is the boiler fired and the furnace protected from the hull and flamables???? PT-2

G'day PT, whilst the engine I machined from a Stuart Turner casting set, the boiler is Fake, I made it out of a three inch piece of storm water pipe and clad it with planking, as I could not afford the $1000 to buy a real one, if you go to page 3 post 45 it describes how I built it, I have a slow reving motor above deck that turns the engine, and another faster motor below deck that runs through the radio control and drives the launch, hope this helps,
Best regards John,

Hello John, it has been a pleasure to follow your build, and see that it has come to successful conclusion.

I have copied your idea to build a "steam engine powered launch" which actually uses electric motor to power both the steam engine and propeller. The motor will be hiding under the floor panels of the boat, and connected to the common propeller shaft with steam engine. I am also planning to build a false boiler, inside which I plan to install all the electronics for remote control. And of course on the top of funnel will be installed a smoke generator.
For the motor I purchased a geared brushed 12 V electric motor with max. output speed of about 400 rpm, which I have thought to control with a car ESC, so that it can be controlled from zero to maximum speed.

You have chosen an interesting idea to use two motors for your boat. What was the idea behind this choice? Do you think that the speed of the motor driving steam engine is too slow to turn the propeller? And what are the rpm's of your both motors?

G'day PT, whilst the engine I machined from a Stuart Turner casting set, the boiler is Fake, I made it out of a three inch piece of storm water pipe and clad it with planking, as I could not afford the $1000 to buy a real one, if you go to page 3 post 45 it describes how I built it, I have a slow reving motor above deck that turns the engine, and another faster motor below deck that runs through the radio control and drives the launch, hope this helps,
Best regards John,
Never realised it was all electric! - Looks good on the water.
I used a similar idea when I built 'Natterer' in that while she has a fully operating steam plant, she also has an emergency electric drive under the floor which will also drive the boat all day if I exchange the steam plant for a battery set.

Ted

Never realised it was all electric! - Looks good on the water.
I used a similar idea when I built 'Natterer' in that while she has a fully operating steam plant, she also has an emergency electric drive under the floor which will also drive the boat all day if I exchange the steam plant for a battery set.

Ted
The steam engine must be exciting to hear and see the condensate vapor . . like in the days of old when railroad engines were steam locomotives in my youth which I cannot forget. PT-2

Hello John, it has been a pleasure to follow your build, and see that it has come to successful conclusion.

I have copied your idea to build a "steam engine powered launch" which actually uses electric motor to power both the steam engine and propeller. The motor will be hiding under the floor panels of the boat, and connected to the common propeller shaft with steam engine. I am also planning to build a false boiler, inside which I plan to install all the electronics for remote control. And of course on the top of funnel will be installed a smoke generator.
For the motor I purchased a geared brushed 12 V electric motor with max. output speed of about 400 rpm, which I have thought to control with a car ESC, so that it can be controlled from zero to maximum speed.

You have chosen an interesting idea to use two motors for your boat. What was the idea behind this choice? Do you think that the speed of the motor driving steam engine is too slow to turn the propeller? And what are the rpm's of your both motors?

G'day Moxis, I was just worried about the speed for the steam engine, that's why I used a slower reving motor, I will have to check and see what revs both the motors run at, thank you for your nice comments,

Best regards John,

Back