Steam Launch Borkum by neptune - Krick - 1/12 scale - with steam engine built from Stuart Turner cas [COMPLETED BUILD]

I see one of the new members is also just about to start building a Borkum steam launch, it will be interesting to follow along, and I must get around to finishing mine as well,

Best regards John.

Last edited:
This is Awesome. I can see you know your way around the metal machining tools, Very nice work will be watching this build come to life

thank you for the compliments Joe, this is actually the first engine that I've built, I doubt if I will build another but I thoroughly enjoyed building this one,

best regards John.

I have yet to build one and I just don't know why because I love the things and doing the machining work is something I could easily do. I think you did a great job machining the parts Brother. The closest I have come to building one was to make a flywheel for a friend on his scratch build engine. I build the flywheel from wood sealed it and cast it in aluminum then machined it to clean it up and balance it out. It was a fun project that I swore I'd build one day and still haven't.

Well I have been meaning to get a bit more done to my launch and after seeing Torparts new post about his
Borkum, he got me motivated and I decided to a bit more to mine, it will make a bit of a break from doing
the Head rails etc on the Royal William,

308.jpg
So the next thing was to install the prop shaft and tube, lining it up for gluing,

309.jpg
After I was happy with the lining up, I made a small support frame out of Plastic Card to support the inboard end
of the shaft and tube,

310.jpg
another view, I have to cut down the length of the shaft yet, i will do that after the plastic cement glue has dried,

311.jpg
This is where the shaft tube comes in through, I mixed some 5 minute epoxy and
applied it to this area, i will do a water test tomorrow to make sure it is water tight,

Last edited:
Just a quick introduction to the crew and passengers on the Borkum,

1.jpg
This is the captain, or will be when I have taken his bread basket away,

2.jpg
This is the Engineer,

3.jpg
The captain and the three passengers,

4.jpg
another view,

5.jpg
Grandma and grandpa, having a day out,

6.jpg
and a gentleman who has just bought a pet for his daughter, all are in 1/12 scale,

Just a quick update,

318.jpg
This is the motor and coupling I will be using, its a 12 volt 5 pole motor,

319.jpg
i have installed the bed for the motor to sit on,

320.jpg
I have wrapped the motor with self adhesive Velcro and will attach another piece to the bed,

321.jpg
the bed with the guide timbers and the velcro in place,

322.jpg
another view, the idea is that I don't have to have any mounting brackets,
I just place the motor on the bed between the guide timbers and it sticks
to the hook and loop strip, so it is quite easy to install and remove when
needed,

Last edited:
323.jpg
This is the motor sitting on its bed, because it came up above the floor I had to adapt the decking that goes above it,

324.jpg
so I had to cut out a piece of the decking and also add a frame work to sit the steam engine on so it would also
be clear of the electric motor,

325.jpg
view end on,

326.jpg
the completed new deck assembly,

327.jpg
I have glued the cabinet for the auxiliary motor that will drive the steam engine onto the hatch so i can remove
it all in one go, the motor in the cabinet is a slower turning motor than the one which will drive the main shaft
and prop,

328.jpg
the cabinet and the new lower deck platform in place,

329.jpg
I also decided to use a double universal coupling to drive the steam engine, its a lot smoother than a single,

330.jpg
closer view,

336.jpg
I was so pleased with the way the double universal worked on the auxiliary motor that is driving the steam engine
that I decided to modify the prop shaft coupling to a double as well, this meant shortening the shaft and tube by
approx 50mm, I also had to demolish the plasticard mounting and install a new one, the new one I constructed
out of wood,

337.jpg
The next job was a little bit on the yucky side, packing the prop tube with grease, I used a syringe ,

338.jpg
A view of the double universal coupling,

339.jpg
Close up, I was very happy with the result, when I connected the motor to the battery everything ran really smoothly,

340.jpg
I was going to put the batteries either side of the prop shaft under the seats, but decided to put them in front
of the drive motor as they would be lower down in the boat and help better with the buoyancy, it worked out
that I could just cut enough deck away to get them in width wise,

341.jpg
then I turned my attention to the steering servo, this shows the servo and the linkage over the plan, the red part
came as a cross shaped piece but I had to remove the other arms because they would be in the way when the
servo turned,

342.jpg
The servo and linkage in place,

343.jpg
next up was the receiver and electronic speed controller, this shows them wired up and under the starboard
bench seat, under the port bench seat is the battery holder and switch for the auxiliary motor that will turn
the steam engine,

344.jpg
and a view with the seats in place,

345.jpg
overall view of the engine and auxiliary motor set up,

Last edited:
And now a little bit of a catch up,

346.jpg
Fitting one of the rear the life belt holders,

347.jpg
and also the one for the bow, I CA glued them in place and also used some small brass pins as well,

348.jpg
The bow life belt in place,

349.jpg
and also the rear one as well,

350.jpg
next up was the steps, when I had decided on where to attach them I drilled one 1.2mm hole through the top of
the steps and put a small brass pin in the hole to hold the steps steady while I drilled the other three holes,

352.jpg
I then applied CA glue to the top and bottom of the steps and also CA glued a small brass pin in each hole,

Last edited:
353.jpg
overall view of the steps and both the rear life belts,

354.jpg
There is a small raised deck platform to the side of the steps that holds the steering column, i attached the ships
wheel to this column and then attached the column to the raised deck,

355.jpg
view from a different angle, all these parts I had constructed earlier on in the build,

Back