Steam/Sail model kits, where are you?

Having finished my sixth model ship, I'm now interested in building one from the "sail to steam" transition era. Other than Blue Jacket's "Portland", which I have built, does anyone know of others that are available?

The Model Shipways kit Harriet Lane cutter (MS 2010, scale 1:144) is a transition sail/steam offering. I have built it and it is a detailed interesting model to work on. Sails were utilized as the steam-powered paddle wheels often did not generate enough power. The ship also has an interesting history.. I checked and it is still available from Model Expo. Actually it is on sale right now.,,, $200 (reg $250) Hope tis helps.....Andy

Unfortunately that is a period that has seen a lack of models produced even though there could be a lot of interest. I am personally embarked on a build of just such a ship...the USCG Revenue Cutter Bear. It is a semi-scratch build in that all the bulkheads and the bulkhead former are laser cut by a friend of mine. I am currently awaiting the revised decking and a few other parts to resume my build log...which can be found here on SoS.

It may be heresy to some, but starting from the Revell CSS Alabama at 1:96 scale (good size) and kitting her out from scratch could give a magnificent display.

The Model Shipways kit Harriet Lane cutter (MS 2010, scale 1:144) is a transition sail/steam offering. I have built it and it is a detailed interesting model to work on. Sails were utilized as the steam-powered paddle wheels often did not generate enough power. The ship also has an interesting history.. I checked and it is still available from Model Expo. Actually it is on sale right now.,,, $200 (reg $250) Hope tis helps.....Andy
Definitely a strong candidate. Thanks AndyMan!
Unfortunately that is a period that has seen a lack of models produced even though there could be a lot of interest. I am personally embarked on a build of just such a ship...the USCG Revenue Cutter Bear. It is a semi-scratch build in that all the bulkheads and the bulkhead former are laser cut by a friend of mine. I am currently awaiting the revised decking and a few other parts to resume my build log...which can be found here on SoS.
Thanks Jim J. I'll check out your build.

I built the Mamoli Alabama, and I believe Blue Jacket has kits of both the Alabama and her nemesis, the Kearsharge.

Having finished my sixth model ship, I'm now interested in building one from the "sail to steam" transition era. Other than Blue Jacket's "Portland", which I have built, does anyone know of others that are available?
Hi Jim-Bob,

Constructo has a kit of the Lilla Dan, a topsail schooner with steam power as well.

It's available here:

I had the kit but was more interested in sail only., so I never built it.

I also have most of the hardware add-on parts.

Constructo kits aren't the best but I took first prize with my Constructo kit of the Halifax which
is now in a museum in Ontario.

I hope this works for you.

Bill Moseley

Attachments

• IMG_1120.JPG
    IMG_1120.JPG
    248.8 KB · Views: 6
Hallo @Jim-Bob
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
BTW: What is the status of your preparation? Any decisions made?

And the Terror, but that was strictly auxiliary steam power:

Back