steam

i find this forum show cases the new wave of modeling and what is being done with CAD, 3D printing, 3D instructions, and 3D carving just wondeful!
Well said, Dave, nothing to add. A brand new era of shipbuilding models and SOS playing its important role in this makeover.

the modeling of just the engine and boilers for the Mississippi model has now been a year in the making and yet to 3d print the first part.

once the engine and boilers are done I will move on to the guns first draw them then create a 3D model.

in all my years of ship modeling i have never come across a model of a steam ship in such detail down to the rivets that hold it together.
We are coming into a new age of ship modeling with CAD and 3D modeling and CNC milling and carving. This is exciting and quite exhilarating to be able to create such detailed models and state of the art kits.
I say out with the old and in with the new.

i find this forum show cases the new wave of modeling and what is being done with CAD, 3D printing, 3D instructions, and 3D carving just wondeful!

Hello @Dave Stevens (Lumberyard),
I came across this old thread via another one and have read it entirely.
It was a most interesting read.
What became of your Mississippi project?

Hello @Dave Stevens (Lumberyard),
I came across this old thread via another one and have read it entirely.
It was a most interesting read.
What became of your Mississippi project?

The Mississippi project is sitting on the back shelf waiting for me to get back to it. Also added to that shelf is the first iron steamship built by the navy the Michigan whos plans are in the Smithsonian archives however plans of the engine are missing. Another project on the shelf is one of the early steamships the Indiana who's engine was salvaged and plans drawn.
Right now i am deep into the Sultana project and will continue with that for a few more months. Perhaps in the fall i will jump into these steamships and do the 3D drawings and print files for a steam engine kit or a cross section of the engine room.

The Mississippi project is sitting on the back shelf waiting for me to get back to it. Also added to that shelf is the first iron steamship built by the navy the Michigan whos plans are in the Smithsonian archives however plans of the engine are missing. Another project on the shelf is one of the early steamships the Indiana who's engine was salvaged and plans drawn.
Right now i am deep into the Sultana project and will continue with that for a few more months. Perhaps in the fall i will jump into these steamships and do the 3D drawings and print files for a steam engine kit or a cross section of the engine room.
Thank you for your informative reply.
Looking forward to when you pick this project up again.

Back