Stern lights/windows

First, are lights and windows the same thing? :)
Second, does anyone have a link to a "How To" for stern windows? These are very fiddly and each one is slightly different(depending on your framing skills:)) so making a jig for each seems like the way to go but making a jig for each window seems redundant. It's almost as easy to build a window as it is to build a jig.
I have started making a window but it seems that each piece has to be glued in place one at a time to let the glue dry so that you don't disturb everything putting in the next piece. I tried CA but for some reason it just won't glue the pieces together. PVA works but it means an hour of drying time between pieces. I'll do that if I have to. I've searched for a How To with no luck.

Hi Don. Just an idea, that I have used successfully, was to buy some large gap ships grating (eg. 3mm hole), piece it together (with a fair amount of superglue as PVA tends to clog the windows) and cut it down to whatever size window you want - you can sand down the thickness and/or set it in deeply. I even used 'Microscale Kristal Klear' to form the window glass. This mainly works if the windows are straight but I am sure you could adjust the grating to your needs. I found all of this easier than trying to glue small pieces of wood together from scratch.

A delicate modeling problem for all of us. Consider using styrene plastic shapes and scale strips for the window structures. You can go in at least two directions. One is to use clear plastic as a base and glue styrene plastic pieces on it to form the window gratings and shape. The second is you might find an actual window part in styrene plastic that you can jury rig for your purpose. Look in model railroad supply sources. You can find window parts in common scales HO and O. They often come in bags of dozens of window shapes and sizes. I have used HO size windows many times in model ship bulkheads and stern lights. And yes, in normal terminology lights and windows are the same...more specifically a window is the whole structure while a light is the smaller pane of glass. A window therefore can have six lights (or panes of glass). Anyway, I use styrene plastic shapes and strips a lot especially for moldings around the hull and railings. Styrene shapes and strips are mostly white so painting is a need unless a white molding fits your model.

Back