Stiff rope

I'm messing about with the gun rigging and noticed that my rope doesn't behave like real rope. Notice how the breech rope is just hovering in the air. How do I get it to lay down on the deck/sag like the real thing? This one is cotton but if I could get answers for cotton and polyester. I'm still trying to decide which one to use.

DSC04564.JPG

The rope is turned to strong. That's make it stiff. If it's polyester hold the heatgun on it to make it soft. When it is cotton try water to make it heavy and let it dry in it's position. Just something to try.

In my experience, scale rope never acts like real rope. You can brush on a 50/50 blend of white glue and water, and then hold it in the position you want. After drying, it will stay where you put it. You can also then bend it a bit more to make it look more natural. Oftentimes it helps to make a little jig with the gun off the model, and the rope held in place with pins or tape, then coat it with the glue mixture.

I encountered this problem when building Bounty, I really could not get the yard foot ropes to stay in the shape I wanted.
When I got to the same stage with the Surprise build I thought a bit more about the possibilities and decided to try a different approach, making up my own rope using fine copper wire sourced from electrical cable, spun to the right thickness and chemically blackened. This worked well, the "rope" was easy to bend to the right shape, held that shape and looked good. (Only works with black ropes!)18[1].jpg

I encountered this problem when building Bounty, I really could not get the yard foot ropes to stay in the shape I wanted.
When I got to the same stage with the Surprise build I thought a bit more about the possibilities and decided to try a different approach, making up my own rope using fine copper wire sourced from electrical cable, spun to the right thickness and chemically blackened. This worked well, the "rope" was easy to bend to the right shape, held that shape and looked good. (Only works with black ropes!)View attachment 313941
Hello Navis, excellent system used by many modelers with excellent results, Congratulations

Back