storage

What is the best way to box and store a model. I am thinking of boxing some of mine up. 1st, build a frame foundation to mount it to, then build some kind of protective box around it. Then fill with packing peanuts.,, I have a move coming up, and, obviously, want to protect things as much as possible. K

What is the best way to box and store a model. I am thinking of boxing some of mine up. 1st, build a frame foundation to mount it to, then build some kind of protective box around it. Then fill with packing peanuts.,, I have a move coming up, and, obviously, want to protect things as much as possible. K
depends which kind of model you will store
here a "building log" with self-explanatory photos from a german page:

depends which kind of model you will store
here a "building log" with self-explanatory photos from a german page:

I would think that peanuts could shift around and initially present a packing problem that later movement would create added damage. As much space around the model as possible, assuming it to be well anchored to its base and the base to the bottom of the container. You will have a build project in quantity as well as quality to protect the treasure. PT-2

when i moved from toronto canada to vancouver island last year i brought with me only three ships the others i gave to friends and family the largest was the bounty in 1/48 scale the smaller 2 were 1/64. i was lucky enough to have table saw and used 3/4 plywood to make the sides ,ends, tops and bottoms. my ships all had hardwood bases and pedestals so i put an old towel between the bottom of the carton and the base then used plumbers strapping to keep the base secure to the bottom but not to tight as to flatten the shock absorbing towel. give yourself at least 2" all around ,use wood screws to assemble , and mark extremely fragile and this side up all around the container. last, if you can watch them load the truck up by all means do so and dont be afraid to tell them to be carfeful with your valuable property. p.s mount handles on the unit so it can be picked up and carried properly. when you arrive at your destination you can use the plywood for shelving in your garage.

Just a thought of mine, If you plan to keep finished models make your shipping base from wood for final display and mount ship to this base, then you can make wood case to hold glass, but don't install glass. Then you can crate display frame and pack well, as others have said.

A bit off topic; but apparently acrylic is better for displaying models.
The reasons given:
  • It's harder to break
  • Cheaper (and hence easier to replace)
  • Lighter
  • More flexible to work with,
and most importantly...
  • It's more clear than glass.

Last edited:
A bit off topic; but apparently acrylic is better for displaying models.
The reasons given:
  • It's harder to break
  • Cheaper (and hence easier to replace)
  • Lighter
  • More flexible to work with,
and most importantly...
  • It's more clear than glass.
Good points as well as it is typically more available and faster than getting glass cut. PT-2

Regardless which method you use to protect your models keep in mind the fact that transporting it by truck or car, it will be subjected to a fair amount of vibration This vibration can and will cause damage to your model, especially the rigging. So make sure you provide something to absorb the vibration.
When I moved from NJ to Florida I placed my model on a large piece of foam rubber. The kind that is used in seat cushions. It was about 2 inches thick. It was large model - Mamoli’s Friesland - in a glass display case. It arrived in Florida fully intact with no damage.

Always a challenge! When I was transferred to and from Tokyo the company hired professional movers and they way they did it was put the ships in big boxes with peanuts in the bottom and then they poked holes in the boxes and secured the masts, etc. with string to prevent them from wobbling in transit. I couldn't watch them do it but everything came through fine, just a cracked topgallant mast on one ship and a gunport lid knocked off on another.

Always a challenge! When I was transferred to and from Tokyo the company hired professional movers and they way they did it was put the ships in big boxes with peanuts in the bottom and then they poked holes in the boxes and secured the masts, etc. with string to prevent them from wobbling in transit. I couldn't watch them do it but everything came through fine, just a cracked topgallant mast on one ship and a gunport lid knocked off on another.
Those might have happened in rough handling or an impact jar from another container. Too bad. I don't know if I could have not watched and hovered like a vulture over the prey which does not work well with some workers. PT-2

Those might have happened in rough handling or an impact jar from another container. Too bad. I don't know if I could have not watched and hovered like a vulture over the prey which does not work well with some workers. PT-2

It was easy to fix the problems and I think you're right--it was rough handling. And yes! I was both hovering and cowering and they definitely didn't want any supervision.

Back