Storing sails

Did sailing ships carry an extra set of sails, where did they keep them ?? How did they store them ?? Did they mark each sail relative to its position ??
I checked my Jean Boudriot books and in Vol III he mentions the store room for rope but not sails
Maybe Uwe has some info in his library
Thanks

Did sailing ships carry an extra set of sails, where did they keep them ?? How did they store them ?? Did they mark each sail relative to its position ??
I checked my Jean Boudriot books and in Vol III he mentions the store room for rope but not sails
Thanks
I try to answer:
It depends on the time period you are talking about. If you checked already Volume III of Boudriot 74-gun book, I guess you mean during the time period of Ship of the line?
They had spare sail - cloth, but usually not complete spare sails sets - On such a bigger sailing ship, there were several craftsmen part of the staff - They had carpenters, ropemaker, but also sail makers on board of such a ship. During the trips, these craftsmen made necessary repairs, maintenance but also produced completely new elements. So the sail makers sewed the sails as needed and used the sail cloth available.
There should be a dry room or a sail room on board of such ships ..... Maybe they had some spare sails for the most important sails (but I guess not for all)
I will check Volume IV of Boudriots 74-gun ship book - I think there could be some more info written.

Check this one - under the capstan is the sailroom
A1UvyxQnzAL.jpg

room No.8 - The Sail room
PS: The sails were very heavy, so they had to lift them via a yardarm through a hatch - so the sail room is every time along the main ship axis in the midship (has to be a dry area of the ship)
01_08.gif

Thanks
Hallo @gisel,
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Danke Uwe
I could sit down to a nice piece of Sacher right now

Back