Sultana - Colonial Schooner, 1767 - by MS, Scale 1:64

moreplovac

The work on rigging continues... Today i started on topsail yards.. First, a layer of vanishing was applied on all three yards, so i don't forget it as i did with main and fore gaff. The peak downhaul tan rope was run through the 2.5mm single block that was seized on the tip of the gaff. The line was brought down to the mast cleat and finished with a rope coil. That area is very crowded with all details in place so people with big hands like me have to pay special attention not to break something...

Then i worked on rigging those tiny 2.5mm blocks that will be seized on the tip of topsail yards.

All topsail yards were completed before, by running them on my mini lathe and tips are finished by hand since they are fairly fragile. Then the fun begun with cleats. I have tried to shape them from a small piece of wood. Partially successful by holding them in tweezers so i can follow shape from the plan... Partially successful because, during building process and moving them to better position the file, they simply flew from tweezers.. Somewhere.

So another approach was taken. The small piece of wood was filled in concave shape so it can fit snugly to the yard and glued to the yard. Then the shape was taken from the plan and transferred to the wood.

A bit of carving took place..

Then three holes were drilled to assist with carving..

And the end result..

The layer of black paint and varnish was applied. The same will be done for two other yards.

For some reason when i uploaded pictures, the uploading process rotate them to left so i cannot insert high-def pictures at this moment.

Happy modeling.

moreplovac

Haven't been to active these days; work related tasks are keeping me away from hobby... Hopefully back to shipyard soon...

moreplovac

Lower yard construction continued by rigging blocks to yard already tapered. A 3 mm double block was lashed to the center of the yard following a kit supplied instructions.. This one will be used for a halliard.

IMG_1144.JPG

Two single blocks were seized together and placed on the ends of the yard arms. I am not quite happy with end results so need to do a bit of research to find a useful process of seizing two blocks together. Suggestions appreciated.

Single double block seizing process..

IMG_1142.JPG

IMG_1143.JPG

Sling for the lower yard halliards was also made, following practicum for proper dimensions..

IMG_1140.JPG

and attached to the ship, with a bit of a weight to make it fit correctly..

IMG_1141.JPG

On above picture the block is facing outwards but it was actually positioned properly after. The area is very populated so extra care is advisable while working..

Happy modeling.

moreplovac

Did not quite like how blocks ended up so i made them again; removed from yard, and seized them into a bit more nicely manner.

I did not have enough black rope so i used tan rope that was colored in black. First time using this technique and so far looks nice.

and on the yard.

IMG_1147.JPG

Happy modeling.