The work on rigging continues... Today i started on topsail yards.. First, a layer of vanishing was applied on all three yards, so i don't forget it as i did with main and fore gaff. The peak downhaul tan rope was run through the 2.5mm single block that was seized on the tip of the gaff. The line was brought down to the mast cleat and finished with a rope coil. That area is very crowded with all details in place so people with big hands like me have to pay special attention not to break something...
Then i worked on rigging those tiny 2.5mm blocks that will be seized on the tip of topsail yards.
All topsail yards were completed before, by running them on my mini lathe and tips are finished by hand since they are fairly fragile. Then the fun begun with cleats. I have tried to shape them from a small piece of wood. Partially successful by holding them in tweezers so i can follow shape from the plan... Partially successful because, during building process and moving them to better position the file, they simply flew from tweezers.. Somewhere.
So another approach was taken. The small piece of wood was filled in concave shape so it can fit snugly to the yard and glued to the yard. Then the shape was taken from the plan and transferred to the wood.
A bit of carving took place..
Then three holes were drilled to assist with carving..
And the end result..
The layer of black paint and varnish was applied. The same will be done for two other yards.
For some reason when i uploaded pictures, the uploading process rotate them to left so i cannot insert high-def pictures at this moment.
Lower yard construction continued by rigging blocks to yard already tapered. A 3 mm double block was lashed to the center of the yard following a kit supplied instructions.. This one will be used for a halliard.
Two single blocks were seized together and placed on the ends of the yard arms. I am not quite happy with end results so need to do a bit of research to find a useful process of seizing two blocks together. Suggestions appreciated.
Single double block seizing process..
Sling for the lower yard halliards was also made, following practicum for proper dimensions..
and attached to the ship, with a bit of a weight to make it fit correctly..
On above picture the block is facing outwards but it was actually positioned properly after. The area is very populated so extra care is advisable while working..
Rigging for yards continue.. It is very tedious work but for some weird reason i like it...
The yard mounted and fixed with a piece of scotch tape, so it will keep its position while rigging work is in progress.
The rigging was fixed with a hook, to the place on the deck. A small amount of rope coil rope was attached as well. For all rigging of this type, tan rope in .008mm diameter was used.
Preparation of 2mm single blocks that will be attached to the topmast and will hold a rope for a lift...
End for all rope were freeze with cyano glue in effort to drive them thru the blocks easily.. the small weight were attached to the end of lifts to make them straight and diluted white glue was applied to all ropes. This should prevent ropes to have a "hanging" effect..
My apologize for distracting background on some pictures; still need to clean up workshop from previous projects...
A bit of a challenge finding correct spot to finish up the rigging lines since, for my taste, the kit should be providing more clearer instruction. On the flip side, this forces me to do a bit of a research which is not bad thing at all...
In the process i noticed the wrongly finished topsail yard lift rope so i need to correct that. Should have enough line left for this correction.
And Spartan warrior is still here, making sure all is done to the standards...
Small items, big hands, recipe for damage... One end of the lower yards snapped when attempted to run the rope thru block that was attached to it.
Repair was not possible so replacing was the only option..
While i was carving yards, i made two extras, just in case. They came very handy...
From the broken one, i removed all blocks with a help of acetone, painted and varnished a new yard and voila... few hrs more than planned we are back in business.
Outer jib halliards, inner jib halliard, outer jib downhaul, inner jib downhaul were attached. I rigged the downhauls first. A single block was seized to the end of tan rigging line. The lines were run through the lower single blocks and belayed to the cleats on the rail on both side of the bowsprit. They will be finished with some rope coil later. I will make rope coils for all ropes at once.
The jib halliards were done next. The halliards were stropped to the single blocks secured on the stays. From here they were run through the blocks on the end of each downhaul and back up to their originating blocks.
Each halliard was run through these blocks and brought down to the deck and belayed them to a mast cleat. I lost one mast cleat so i had to make one from scratch. Tiny pieces i must say...