Sultana - Colonial Schooner, 1767 - by MS, Scale 1:64 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Windlass, part three or how i would call it a final build. Unless i spot some badly build part or completely missed dimension or fall of assembly this will be the final attempt..

So, here it is, final product, attempt #3...

IMG_2730.JPG

IMG_2732.JPG

So, how did i get here?

First get a wood dowel appropriate size, 1 mm wider that needed, cut it in 12cm length piece and with small lathe, shape it to approximate dimensions;
middle part was 8mm wide which left me 1mm room while cutting the octagonal. The end parts were at 6mm leaving me 1mm for octagonal...

IMG_2721.JPG

IMG_2722.JPG

Then i marked 8 lines for octagonal shape..

IMG_2723.JPG

IMG_2724.JPG

With a small chisel i cut 8 lines to make octagonal shape.

IMG_2725.JPG

Lots of shaping, scratching, sanding... Carved the center sprocket, then paint it in black, electric tape was used to simulate iron bands, small nail was used to shape the wholes on windlass, the whole windlass was dipped into stain and after 30 second extra stain was removed with a bounty..

Two supports (red) were reused from previous attempt; all assembled and ready for a final coat of vanish to seal it all together. This will bo done tomorrow when stain is completely dry..

That should be it..

IMG_2729.JPG

Happy modeling..

No much to report today. Just drilling two holes in the deck for masts...

Had to make a template to match the angle of the masts. Traced the angle from the plan on transparent paper, glue it on cardboard and cut the cardboard.

Then i put a ship on the vise, making sure it sits on it with right angle. The ship was put on bench press with 6mm bore, the vise was moved to match correct angle and hole were drilled. The hole was appr 3cm deep.

IMG_2733.JPG

IMG_2735.JPG

IMG_2736.JPG

IMG_2738.JPG

Happy modeling..

The Windlass looks really good and I like the way you drilled the Mast holes, a clever idea but fraught with danger,

Cheers Andy

The Windlass looks really good and I like the way you drilled the Mast holes, a clever idea but fraught with danger,

Cheers Andy

Yes, you are right. That was the only way i would be able to drill a hole in correct angle; was not able to find any other more safer ideas...
But, it is done now...

A very big drill for this small ship - did you use before a smaller diameter or die you start already with the big size?
Hope your Sultana survived? - because you did not show us her afterwards until now...... o_O

A very big drill for this small ship - did you use before a smaller diameter or die you start already with the big size?
Hope your Sultana survived? - because you did not show us her afterwards until now...... o_O

Hi Uwek, i started with a pilot hole using 3mm drill and then just widen it with 6mm. Yes a bit scary process but all was good; ship survived and i lost few more hairs..

Back