Superyacht model kits ? Do they exist ?

Hi all,
I have built a few classic sailing vessels and was wondering if there are kits available of modern day superyachts.
It seems these kinds of ships ar not represented in the kit model arena.
I would love to learn if anyone has ever come accross kits of thes ships, as they must make beautifull models.
This youtube video illustrates the kind of yacht(s) I have in mind.
Thanks,
Dirk

once she was a superyacht - Yacht Aphrodite

T4GJ6OAYOFGNNLPC2N2JWE7DNQ.jpg

La verdad, yo nunca he hecho modelos de caja de montaje o kit, por eso no he averiguado el mercado. Lo que si puedo decirle, es que si ya tiene alguna experiencia, anímese a hacer el modelo que quiera desde cero, scratch, partiendo de las fotos que pueda recolectar, no es tan complicado y si es muy gratificante. Es más de actitud y de liberarse del producto que un fabricante haga. Le deseo buena suerte.

google translation:
The truth is, I have never made assembly box or kit models, that's why I haven't researched the market. What I can tell you is that if you already have some experience, go ahead and make the model you want from scratch, scratch, starting from the photos you can collect, it is not that complicated and it is very rewarding. It is more about attitude and getting rid of the product that a manufacturer makes. I wish you good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,
I have built a few classic sailing vessels and was wondering if there are kits available of modern day superyachts.
I would love to learn if anyone has ever come accross kits of thes ships, as they must make beautifull models.
Thanks,
Dirk
Hallo Dirk alias @leysend
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hi all,
Thanks,
Dirk
Hallo @leysend
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

For what it's worth, I've always thought the ancient Dumas Tuna Clipper kit could be turned into a 1960's super yacht, with some modifications. Extend the deckhouse, add a tender or two, etc.
I have that model and built it many year ago. I think there's build on it either here or on RC Groups. It's a nice kit and a good looking boat but it has a displacement hull an needs a BUNCH of weight in it to float. Otherwise it's great.

If you can find a straight side view of a super cruiser that you want to build you can build it from scratch. You need a good side view to get the length of all the decks and stuff and you need the beam on it and the depth of draw it takes to get the depth. I did that with the Athena yacht that Jim Clark built and it was quite the accomplishment even though I never did finish it. Some day I'll get back to it I hope. Do a search here for the Athena or for threads from Norgale and it should be here somewhere. Look on YouTube for the real thing under sail and at dockside. A beautiful sailing ship by anyone's standards. You can also look up the ship you want to build for the dimensions and deck layouts. Lots of info on the web for just about any ship you can think of. If you know the builder send them an email and ask for the layout for a model project. You'd be surprised at how helpful these people can be.
Below are some pics of the Athena. Pretty dirty and banged up but this model was built completely from scratch with nothing but a picture to go by. Next there are several pictures of the Dumas Tuna Clipper. Not very fancy but could be a pleasure yacht rather than a fishing boat with a bit of imagination. Some damage there too but easy to fix, someday.

100_0107.JPG

100_0108.JPG

100_0109.JPG

100_0110.JPG

100_0112.JPG

100_0114.JPG

100_0115.JPG

100_0116.JPG

100_0117.JPG

Last edited:
Athena does look really good. An amazing piece of work for being scratch built.
I will consider your tips and advise. It does feel like an incredible challenge, but that's something I do like.

Both the Gale Ann and the Athena are RC too. You need to think about what pieces are removable to get to the equipment inside if you go RC. The whole cabin lifts off of the Gale Ann and a center piece lifts off of the Athena. It wasn't hard to do but it did take time.

Back