Supplier Recommendation

Can I please ask this community for supplier recommendations to Australia. I am looking at building a HMS Victory. I have been trying to contact Premier Ship Models to find out about the quality of the different ship brands, Corel etc, but they never ever respond. Hence I am a little nervous about purchasing such an expensive model from a group that sees no value in responding to my querie.

Who are good people to purchase from and which is the best quality brand for the HMS Victory.

Hi,look around in this shop in Australia

Or in UK

Hi,look around in this shop in Australia

Or in UK

Thank you so much

Can I please ask this community for supplier recommendations to Australia. I am looking at building a HMS Victory. I have been trying to contact Premier Ship Models to find out about the quality of the different ship brands, Corel etc, but they never ever respond. Hence I am a little nervous about purchasing such an expensive model from a group that sees no value in responding to my querie.

Who are good people to purchase from and which is the best quality brand for the HMS Victory.
In my opinion in moment the best quality kit for the HMS Victory is the kit from Jotika / Caldercraft in scale 1:72

Victory_lrg.jpg

Being a fellow Aussie I would avoid Modelers Central on the basis of cost they would be the most expensive option available.
Cornwall Model boats in the UK on the other hand are very reasonably priced. An example OcCre Bounty from Modelers Central in Australia delivered to me in Queensland is $947.00 AUD. From Cornwall Model boats in the UK delivered to me is 270 pound or $483.00 AUD.
I agree with Uwe the Caldercraft model is probably excellent but is also very costly.
Hope this has been of assistance.
Allan

Check out Modellers Central, I'm a member there and can vouch for their outstanding service and consistency.

In my opinion in moment the best quality kit for the HMS Victory is the kit from Jotika / Caldercraft in scale 1:72

View attachment 209408

Certainly a quality kit but expensive particularly when freight multiplied by weight from UK to Australia is factored in.

Being a fellow Aussie I would avoid Modelers Central on the basis of cost they would be the most expensive option available.
Cornwall Model boats in the UK on the other hand are very reasonably priced. An example OcCre Bounty from Modelers Central in Australia delivered to me in Queensland is $947.00 AUD. From Cornwall Model boats in the UK delivered to me is 270 pound or $483.00 AUD.
I agree with Uwe the Caldercraft model is probably excellent but is also very costly.
Allan

Have you factored in freight UK to Australia with that, these wooden ship model kits are weighty.

As a fellow Aussie and have experience in buying kits for 35 years, I would exercise caution when purchasing from modellers central.

Their prices are ludicrously expensive. Its more cost efficient to purchase from Crafty sailor or ZHL models in China.

As a fellow Aussie and have experience in buying kits for 35 years, I would exercise caution when purchasing from modellers central.

Their prices are ludicrously expensive. Its more cost efficient to purchase from Crafty sailor or ZHL models in China.

Point taken, but again as I mentioned before the wooden model ships we're discussing are larger weighty items, so we need to factor in the freight penalty in the total cost; and international postage/freight isn't cheap.

I'll check out the Crafty Sailor site you recommended, already looked at ZHL in China and they're as expensive as the UK Jotika/Caldercraft model kits.
Again the ZHL option has a postage/freight penalty as well.

Australia's Front Line Hobbies only stock a limited range of wooden model ships, and nothing that interests me.

In conclusion my point of view is that if a retailer like Modeller Central has a mark up well above overseas suppliers, and a good range of both creditable brands and variety of wooden ship model kits; then I'll save myself the angst.

Never the less I checked the Jotika/Caldercraft freight on the HMS Cruiser kit priced at Pound Sterling 260.70 and freight to Australia came in at AUS$71. totalling AUS $594 with todays exchange rate. I think we can be confident that such quality kit would have a significant mark up if available here in Australia; so with an open mind I have to accept that it would be more affordable to import from overseas.

Last edited:
Allan
These prices I quoted above are delivered prices to my home in regional Queensland. As can be seen Molders Central based in NSW is 96% more expensive just on twice the price of a kit imported and delivered from England.

UK has the cheapest postal service ,also they do not have to mark up their own products,from Uk to Canada cheaper delivery than from the US

Have you factored in freight UK to Australia with that, these wooden ship model kits are weighty.

These prices I quoted above are delivered prices to my home in regional Queensland. As can be seen Molders Central based in NSW is 96% more expensive just on twice the price of a kit imported and delivered from England.

Thank you sir, I take on board what you've advised.

Allan
Thank you fellow Aussie, that information is very helpful. And thanks for the brand advice too. Much appreciated.

Back