Sussex 1693 navy board model

Hello everyone I'm finally getting started on the Sussex, started resawing the cherry, I'm going to try to keep you posted along the way, I can't believe my little bandsaw works pretty good, I have a 14 inch in the garage that I am setting up, but just goes to show what is possible with small tools, set them up right & take your time & anything is possible..... hope you all have a great day

20220128_100333.jpg20220128_095422.jpg20220128_095405.jpg20220128_095348.jpg20220128_095327.jpg

Very nice project, scale 1:48 according drawings of Gilbert McArdle?
Looking forward to it.
It's my first navy board model, was a little bit intimidaded, the book is very good, he explains things step by step , I have no doubt I can do this , I've been excited to get started, but I must take the time nessesary to do things the proper way...

Oh-ho - great to see, that you started the work on the Sussex - this will get very interesting
For everybody interested this is the planset which was alreaedy mentioned

Building a Navy Board Model of HMS Sussex 1693
by Gilbert McArdle

maybe you know already the model of the HMS Sussex, which was build once by our member @ramonolivenza

As I know from the talks with Ramon, he made a lot of additional research and planning to make his wonderful model possible.
The main basis was the book by McArdle. It would be maybe useful for you, to get in touch with Ramon for some hints and tipps.....

Oh-ho - great to see, that you started the work on the Sussex - this will get very interesting
For everybody interested this is the planset which was alreaedy mentioned

Building a Navy Board Model of HMS Sussex 1693
by Gilbert McArdle

maybe you know already the model of the HMS Sussex, which was build once by our member @ramonolivenza

As I know from the talks with Ramon, he made a lot of additional research and planning to make his wonderful model possible.
The main basis was the book by McArdle. It would be maybe useful for you, to get in touch with Ramon for some hints and tipps.....
OK..... thank you, I have been following him & making observations of his model...

Very nice choice of project.I have this book also.Several people have commented on Saint Philippe around complications around the drag (slope) of the keel. Sussex also has a drag on the keel.Keep this in mind as you work and you should be OKThumbsup

Regards

Nigel

Very nice choice of project.I have this book also.Several people have commented on Saint Philippe around complications around the drag (slope) of the keel. Sussex also has a drag on the keel.Keep this in mind as you work and you should be OKThumbsup

Regards

Nigel
Yes it does, I came across that in the book, thank you

Hello everyone I just wanted to give an update on my build log , I now have all my frame patterns glued down & will be moving on to cutting them out on bandsaw & sanding closer with spindle sander, I would have to say that I am really enjoying this build so far , I will try to keep updating the build process step by step, it may be awhile until next step, lol

20220218_151623.jpg

20220218_151510.jpg

20220218_151530.jpg

20220218_152213.jpg

These are a lot of frame elements - your bandsaw will get hot, so I hope you have a spare saw-band ....
I am very close to buying the Rikon 10 inch Deluxe Bandsaw with Carter blade stabilizer, for 1/8 blades, a bit of money though, might be a couple of weeks before I can get, so I will have to try to stay busy doing something else...

I am looking into getting a 14” bandsaw, which one did you get and how do you like it for re-sawing? I currently use a Ryobi 10” and it works ok but the re saw capacity is only 4”. I use a Dewalt dw788 scroll saw for frame futtocks, works very well, have you considered a scroll saw for the work bench?

I am looking into getting a 14” bandsaw, which one did you get and how do you like it for re-sawing? I currently use a Ryobi 10” and it works ok but the re saw capacity is only 4”. I use a Dewalt dw788 scroll saw for frame futtocks, works very well, have you considered a scroll saw for the work bench?
I have not bought one yet , looking at Rikon 10 inch Deluxe, I have a scroll saw , for smaller work , the microlux band saw is what I have now & in my opinion I would not recommend, the Rikon looks to be just right for me for resawing,

Oh, I thought in your first post you said you have a 14” in the garage you were setting up…?

Oh, I thought in your first post you said you have a 14” in the garage you were setting up…?
Oh yes your right, it's an old delta 14 inch I tried to get it up and running, I bought a new blade for it , checked it out best I could, & then the tires decinagrated, then we got a cold spell to cold in garage for me ,decided I want something for my indoor shop , delta could still work with new tires

Oh yes your right, it's an old delta 14 inch I tried to get it up and running, I bought a new blade for it , checked it out best I could, & then the tires decinagrated, then we got a cold spell to cold in garage for me ,decided I want something for my indoor shop , delta could still work with new tires
Replace with urethane tires. They'll last a long time!

Back