Swift 1805 - Artesania Latina - 1/50 Scale by Barry1 [COMPLETED BUILD]

I believe I used a semi gloss poly on the deck. Hope this helps.
Do you recommend using this finish for most decks? Instead of a varnish or stain? I’m still looking for something that would look good on all decks. Maybe this will do.

Karl

You finally got ahead of me on the Swift. I started mine about 20 years ago, got to the standing rigging and then didn't finish the sails, so she sits in dock waiting collecting dust till I finish one of current projects and bring her out to work the sails and running rigging.

Your ship is a true beauty, hope my sails looks as good. I went with natural wood on hull of mine, not painted.

The local group leader told me to learn to do wood properly and it will look good, you can always paint over a bad plank job. He pushed new builders to learn the hard way first and then later we can opt for painted hulls when he have learned double plank method.

Now you have me wanting to hurry up on my current build and get her finished.

Kurt Konrath

Do you recommend using this finish for most decks? Instead of a varnish or stain? I’m still looking for something that would look good on all decks. Maybe this will do.

Karl
I do on all areas. I like the way it looks. I even add to painted surfaces to enhance the look

@Barry1 Hello again, I’m already starting to prep for building this kit. However, I’m having a hard time deciding on stains. I wanted to ask what exact stains did you use for the masts. Are there any other stains you might’ve applied onto the kit?

Karl

@Barry1 Hello again, I’m already starting to prep for building this kit. However, I’m having a hard time deciding on stains. I wanted to ask what exact stains did you use for the masts. Are there any other stains you might’ve applied onto the kit?

Karl
Karl, I went back and looked to see if I had any notes on what stain(s) and I don’t have anything written down. I don’t remember exactly what I used but the stains I typically like are walnuts, oaks and ebony. I probably used an oak stain on masts and deck. Likely walnut on deck furnishings. Ebony not on this model but I like it for display stands and certain areas as highlight. Hope this helps

Last update is for planking. Finished that up over the weekend. Second planking effort for me and while it was better than my first still learning. I found the Swift to be fairly forgiving on plank alignment but I also paid closer attention to fairing the bulkheads. I still need to develop my eye on seeing the best line for the planks to follow. Next steps will be planking the deck, fitting the bulwarks and final sanding and filling of hull before painting starts. Lots to do this week but lots of fun as well View attachment 58991View attachment 58992
Barry, do you recall if you had much adjustment with the bulkheads during fairing? I have same kit and hope to avoid mistakes

Barry, do you recall if you had much adjustment with the bulkheads during fairing? I have same kit and hope to avoid mistakes
I did not have any issues with the bulkheads but there was some fairing needed. The fairing process on this ship was pretty straightforward given its lines. I learned from my first project to take time on the fairing process. For me it was hard to go slow on fairing because it seems pretty straightforward to get a plank to lie properly along a line but when you start considering how the planks will truly lie upon planking it’s not so straightforward. So best advice on this i can give is to go slow here and really try to project the various lies of the planks will take. At the end of the day if you need to take a little of it’s easier than adding strips to build the bulkhead back up. Good luck.

Back