Szkuta wiślana (Vistula barge) 1:100, scratch [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hello
Perhaps some of you are waiting for progress in the construction of the "7 Provinces", and suddenly a new topic. Unfortunately, I am waiting for the cooperators until they meet what they promised for the "7 Provinces", so I decided to rest for a while and started something simpler (but not much smaller).
The "szkutas" sailed on the Vistula for several centuries, transporting mainly grain to Gdańsk. They were really huge, because the hull itself was even 30 meters long, and at the rear there was also a characteristic long rudder blade.
Below is the painting by Bernardo Bellotto (called Canaletto) with the barge and the panorama of Warsaw
szkuta_cnaletto.jpg
(by the way, Canaletto was the court painter of King Stanisław August Poniatowski and his paintings depicting the architecture of Warsaw at that time were used after the Second World War to rebuild the Old Town of Warsaw)

Fortunately, archaeological sites were discovered and secured in many places in Poland, hence more and more is known about old Polish river ships.
In addition to the szkuta there were smaller vessels sailed: dubases, kozas (goats), byks (bulls), galaras, komięgas and the smallest rafts. The smaller ones did not even return from Gdańsk and were sold for wood. Models of these ships (boats) can be seen at the Maritime Museum in Gdańsk.
DSC_7511.JPG

Historically, the shipping of goods (grain, leather, wood) down the Vistula to Gdańsk was a very important branch of economic development for Poland. Sometimes it was said that "Poland was the breadbasket of Europe" due to the export of huge amounts of grain.
domek1.jpg

And I have a certain relationship with Polish rafting, because I live in the Ulanów region, which is called "the capital of Polish rafting". The San River flowing through Ulanów goes into the Vistula and was the main route for transporting goods from the Zamość region (the name Zamojszczyzna and the city of Zamość are associated with one of the largest magnate families in the history of Poland - the Zamojski family).

A phenomenal document describing the construction of these boats is the preserved inventory with precise measurements made in 1796 in the river port in Krzeszów (9 km from my home!!!) by the Austro-Hungarian engineer Benevenutus Losa von Losennau.
Clipboard01.jpg
The szkutas had a flat bottom slightly raised at the stern and the bow made of pine, oak sides "overlapping", one square sail. At the stern there was a storage and utility room. The rudder blade, up to 12 meters long, with a very long tiller, which was operated on a high transverse platform, was very characteristic.

Well, the construction of the model is so trivial that I took almost no photos:
1) 0.5mm flat cardboard bottom
2) glued frame of the room at the stern
3) the first plank stuck to the edge of the bottom
4) 60 brackets...
szkt 07 maly.jpg
...what caused some problems. I started gluing them empty inside. Unfortunately, despite the care taken to make them precisely, they came out very differently. Even worse was that they turned out to be too flaccid and there would be no way to stick the planks to them later. Fortunately, after the first few pieces, I started making them in the form of three cardboard layers glued together (2x1.00 mm + 0.50 mm).
Then I have attached the rest of planks to this construction.
szkt 01maly.jpg
szkt 02 maly.jpg
szkt 03 maly.jpg
szkt 04 maly.jpg

Greetings
Tomek

Very interesting new project - very special and unique boat

Hello,
The barge is finally built.
galery 01.jpg
The model is simple, so it's hard to write elaborates on how I glued individual parts.
galery 03.jpg

Since my works are mainly test models, I decided to make a slight distortion and half of the ship goes to Gdańsk with grain, and the other half goes back up the Vistula with imported goods. I did this to test the grain holds and put the mast with the sail at the same time. The grain was floated with the mast down, using only the river current and oars, while returning up the Vistula, a sail was used, sometimes oars, and when the wind was unfavorable, the barge was towed from the shore.
galery 04.jpg
Since I have never done dioramas, my attempts to create a realistic 1: 100 grain crops failed. So in the end I covered the "grain" with linen, which seems quite probable to me, because the grain should be dried.
galery 05.jpg
It was the first time that I used blocks that I printed in 3D resin and I am satisfied - yes, they need to be painted, but the repeatability of the shape, time needed and "elegance" are much better than with cardboard blocks. More and more often, in cardboard modeling, small details printed in 3D are used, so I indulged in this "sin".
You can always do better, that's what I managed to squeeze out of this project.
galery 02.jpg

Greetings
Tomek

Excellent model, Tomek. Your creativity is one of a kind! This is a really rare vessel we have seen as the model.

Great looking model - I like it very much - Bravo
and now? Already a new project on the desk?

This is excellent - very realistic.

Hello
Perhaps some of you are waiting for progress in the construction of the "7 Provinces", and suddenly a new topic. Unfortunately, I am waiting for the cooperators until they meet what they promised for the "7 Provinces", so I decided to rest for a while and started something simpler (but not much smaller).
The "szkutas" sailed on the Vistula for several centuries, transporting mainly grain to Gdańsk. They were really huge, because the hull itself was even 30 meters long, and at the rear there was also a characteristic long rudder blade.
Below is the painting by Bernardo Bellotto (called Canaletto) with the barge and the panorama of Warsaw

(by the way, Canaletto was the court painter of King Stanisław August Poniatowski and his paintings depicting the architecture of Warsaw at that time were used after the Second World War to rebuild the Old Town of Warsaw)

Fortunately, archaeological sites were discovered and secured in many places in Poland, hence more and more is known about old Polish river ships.
In addition to the szkuta there were smaller vessels sailed: dubases, kozas (goats), byks (bulls), galaras, komięgas and the smallest rafts. The smaller ones did not even return from Gdańsk and were sold for wood. Models of these ships (boats) can be seen at the Maritime Museum in Gdańsk.

Historically, the shipping of goods (grain, leather, wood) down the Vistula to Gdańsk was a very important branch of economic development for Poland. Sometimes it was said that "Poland was the breadbasket of Europe" due to the export of huge amounts of grain.

And I have a certain relationship with Polish rafting, because I live in the Ulanów region, which is called "the capital of Polish rafting". The San River flowing through Ulanów goes into the Vistula and was the main route for transporting goods from the Zamość region (the name Zamojszczyzna and the city of Zamość are associated with one of the largest magnate families in the history of Poland - the Zamojski family).

A phenomenal document describing the construction of these boats is the preserved inventory with precise measurements made in 1796 in the river port in Krzeszów (9 km from my home!!!) by the Austro-Hungarian engineer Benevenutus Losa von Losennau.

The szkutas had a flat bottom slightly raised at the stern and the bow made of pine, oak sides "overlapping", one square sail. At the stern there was a storage and utility room. The rudder blade, up to 12 meters long, with a very long tiller, which was operated on a high transverse platform, was very characteristic.

Well, the construction of the model is so trivial that I took almost no photos:
1) 0.5mm flat cardboard bottom
2) glued frame of the room at the stern
3) the first plank stuck to the edge of the bottom
4) 60 brackets..
...what caused some problems. I started gluing them empty inside. Unfortunately, despite the care taken to make them precisely, they came out very differently. Even worse was that they turned out to be too flaccid and there would be no way to stick the planks to them later. Fortunately, after the first few pieces, I started making them in the form of three cardboard layers glued together (2x1.00 mm + 0.50 mm).
Then I have attached the rest of planks to this construction

Greetings
Tomek
Hallo Tomek alias @0Seahorse
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Enjoy your special day

Back