Technique

1584484580346.png

Current building, Cutter alert by Vanguard Models. About to start second layer of planking. The material is 1 X 4 mm pearwood which seems quite pliable. Looks dark almost mahogany color and bends easily. I am considering using contact cement, but have previously used Titebond which has worked well. I am thinking maybe the contact cement would be a little easier to handle but of course would not have the luxury of adjusting the planks before the glue cures which I have with the Titebond. Would appreciate any thoughts.
Best to all,
Phil

Asking for advice on glues will get you a dozen answers. If you like using Titebond, I would suggest trying a product called Weldbond. It has the same properties as Titebond with one exception... it can be dissolved after curing with isopropyl alcohol. This can be a huge lifesaver if you make a mistake. Give it a try.

Asking for advice on glues will get you a dozen answers. If you like using Titebond, I would suggest trying a product called Weldbond. It has the same properties as Titebond with one exception... it can be dissolved after curing with isopropyl alcohol. This can be a huge lifesaver if you make a mistake. Give it a try.
thank you Mike. Will do.
Phil

I used Elmer's white glue on the Artesana Latina Virginia model, along with some clamps that screw into the underlayer. These hold the planks in place while the glue dries. I got the planking clamps as a package of 6. You can see that I also used some tape at the plank ends. This garboard plank has twist at both ends.IMG_1344.jpeg
GuyIMG_1344.jpeg

Many suggest Weldbond glue. But what you are after is a tacky quick set glue that allows positioning and then quickly tacks and sets. I have started using gel CA. The gel has a slower set than regular CA which allows for positioning of the plank and then hold in place with your fingers for ten seconds and it tacks and sets. As you know, moisture is what sets CA glues. So if you want a faster set still use gel CA but moisten the wood strip first...this includes any soaking necessary to bend your planks. Wipe off the excess moisture...bead on the Gel CA at your contact points...position the moist strip...hold in place for quick tack and set. Hope this helps...

I've been using contact cement for second layer of planking for over 30 years now. Never had a problem. As MrShanks said, lots of different answers to this question (and others) so do what is comfortable for you, but what would I know, I use a steam iron to bend planks and the only power tool I have is a dremel.

I've been using contact cement for second layer of planking for over 30 years now. Never had a problem. As MrShanks said, lots of different answers to this question (and others) so do what is comfortable for you, but what would I know, I use a steam iron to bend planks and the only power tool I have is a dremel.
II know a master model maker who uses a number 11 blade for most of his modeling! Amazing really. But your comment about using contact cement reminds us all that whatever one uses we master the techniques necessary to make it work. So it is so very true to do what you are comfortable with and master the technique!

Back