Thanks for Welcome Greetings

I want to thank for the welcome greetings from the group members. As you say Bosphorus is heaven on earth .It is nice to live here. One of my happiest days in Istanbul was in May 2010 during the historical tall ship regatta through Bosphorus. From all over the world participating about 50 sailing ships. Leg one was following the legendary route of Jason with his Argonauts to search the Golden Fleece. They started from Greece Volos thru Dardanelle -Marmara Sea - Bosphorus- Black Sea to Varna and back to Greece. It is a nice feeling to see the ships which you are modeling similar ones in real size and many of them at the same time. The attached files are photos from this regatta which I captured while they were sailing at the entrance of Bosphorus.

Janos 1_01.JPG

Janos3_01.JPG

janos4_01.JPG

Janos5_01.JPG

Janos6_01.JPG

Janos7_01.JPG

Janos8_01.JPG

Janos9_01.JPG

I did not welcome you. I'm like that: totally unsociable... only kidding! I'll take the opportunity to rectify that error and welcome you now, even if it is a bit late! Merhaba, my friend! Those pictures are lovely. Teshaku a darum. I probably spelled that badly, but I hope that I remember correctly and it means 'thank you very much'!

I have no such beautiful tales to tell of my times in Turkey, but one may interest you...

I went on one of those tourist boats: the ones that take you to see the fantastic temples and houses carved into the rock faces along the coast. On the return journey, a storm hit us. The open sides had canvas sheets battened down over them to stop most of the water soaking the tourists huddling in the cabin being sick!

I did not like all the complaints and vomiting from the rest of the tourists. I went up on deck and made my way to the bow. The boat was rolling, yawing and the bow was rising and falling so quickly that my weight nearly doubled as the bow rose on the waves. As it dropped between waves, I felt almost weightless.

A Turkish sailor came up to me to advise me to go belowdeck. I told him that I was fine and we stood together in the bow, chatting. We saw flying fish gliding from one wave to another. I was delighted: they glide so far! The sailor told me that storms like this were great for watching them! the rest of the tourists never saw them, while I had a great time, talking to the sailor and helping him with his job.

When we rode out the storm and docked, the boat's captain came up to me as we disembarked. He explained that his company was a bit short of crew members. He then told me that his sailor had recommended me. He asked me if I would consider working on board the boats while I was on holiday! I felt honoured to be asked and I was really tempted, but my wife wouldn't let me!

I loved my times in Turkey. The people were so welcoming and friendly, especially if you bothered to learn some Turkish language. So, once more, thanks for the pictures and welcome! Turkey is as beautiful as its people!

Thank you very much for your sincere welcome greeting and your appreciation and nice thoughts about my country and my people.

We also have very nice memories from your country. Our Bus Tour in 1987.from London via Edinbourgh troughout Scotland (unfortunately Nessie was not available in Drumnadrochit) up to John O'Groats.

Let me guess: Your mentioned adventure happened on the way to the Sunken City in Kekova. Usually after lunch it is always stormy there.I experienced it many times (first time in 1979 with my wife + 2 yapanese tourists in a 6 meter cabinless boat from Kaş to Kekova and back to Kaş) Our return journey lasted 5 hours mostly in nighttime. First time in my life i felt that close to God .
By our last 3 visits within 2 years before the lock down we took the highway and hired the boats locally. That way you can enjoy longer the fish and raki . Although being very crowded in last years these areas are still wonderful.
If my guess is not correct i still attached photos from Kekova in order to wake up interest for your next visit in Türkiye.
Kind Regards
Healthy & Joyfull Shipmodeling

kekova.jpg

kekova1.jpg

köyceğiz.jpg

Korsan. Thanks for your lovely words. No need to reply to this, but I had shivers down my spine when I saw those photos. I did not take a camera with me on the trip but that is what I saw. Awesome, aren't they? Thanks for giving me back my memory of the place! I'm pleased that you loved the UK. If I had the money, I'd travel the world... but I don't! I'm happy with the parts I know. The UK, Turkey, Jamaica and a glimpse of Germany and Belgium (with my job, the last two).

Iyi akşamlar.

Welcome aboard! Beautiful pictures - of the tall ships and your country.

Hi JohnR
Thanks for welcoming me aboard.
I presume you live in Germany.I like Hamburg ,Munich, Düsseldorf und Berlin specially . I attended the SoS community while i was looking the rigging details of Adler von Lübeck in the internet. A model which built ca.30 years ago .Most of the rigging yarns except the standing riggings were rotten.Anyway after 90 hours working time in the last 2 months i hope i wiil finish the rebirth of the phoenix next week and send pictures of him.

After a very long period I started model building during lockdown again and enjoy it very much at the moment. Specially the immediate information from internet,getting all sort of material sortiments and all the facilities which you could only dream of in 1990's.
When i visited a model shop in my neigbourhood to purchase material for model building the owner is a wise guy (around 60 ties) said ,When we started to bult model ships there many people but not much material,now there is so much material but less young people who are interested in . Most of its selling articles are now on RC basis ,Robots etc.
I like SoS because the members are from all over the world and i have a serious experienced impression from the members.
Kind Regards

Back