The Airfix 1/180 HMS Victory

Well, the good news is the book's arrived. The bad news is, it's in German. That would be why it was cheap...!

Luckily I read German, but I don't understand nautical jargon when it's in English, never mind German...

OUCH!
Never knew it was translated into other languages.
Nautical terms can be googled.

Yes, it's kind of amazing that a book as niche as this can be worth the faff of translating into German, a language spoken by maybe 100 million people. English is spoken by about 400 million, not including those who speak it well in a country where it is the official second language (eg India). So if the market for this book in English is small, it's a fraction of that in German.

Which is probably why they can only get about £11 for it :)

I think it will be fine actually. It's the diagrams I need. I can work out from the captions and labels on these what the German words for "futtock shrouds" and "mizzen backstay" and "ratlines" are, although what use this vocabulary will ever be is less clear. I used to work in oil logistics and I did indeed need to know words like "bulkhead".

I'm sorry you got lumbered with the German version.
Wasn't the language pointed out in the add?

I've managed to get all 3 Hackney books off ebay for around £6 each.
You have to be patient and keep watching.

Good luck with your build.

The language wasn't specified in the ad - it was just left blank. It did not occur to me that anything this niche would have been translated! The seller was in Germany, but I've bought all kinds of English-language books second-hand from overseas sellers before - Ospreys and what not. They're often cheaper exactly because they're in a foreign language, i.e. English, so far as the seller's concerned. So source doesn't necessarily warn you.

I once received a German language copy of Jurassic Park from Amazon (that one I sent back). Turns out Jurassic Park in German is just Jurassic Park, because it's a proper noun and you don't translate those I suppose. So the book title doesn't warn you. If it had been the sequel, The Lost World, it would have; it would have been Die verlorene Welt because that title's not a proper noun. HMS Victory, same thing I guess.

I'm going to Salute 2024 this weekend and they often have titles like this for sale at the second-hand book stands there. I'll see if I can find an English language version there. I'm not paying £80 or £100 though when I only gave £30 for the actual kit!

Hi 'B'.DSCF1010.JPG

I 'm assuming you found my little 'Victory'?
The only kit parts were the hull halves....which I scraped off all the crappy detail and started there.
Added material to give a bit better depth to the lower hull.
I xeroxed the ATOS drawings down to 1:600 and realized the proportions were pretty accurate.

Me and my partner were separated, yet she was carrying our son.
It was a difficult time and I needed something to focus on.
I look at that model and it represents 9 months extreme anxiety.
I'm happy with the model and proud of the boy.

DSCF1012.JPG

DSCF1002.JPG

I was wondering how much of the kit you'd salvaged. From what I can see / remember of the kit, its hull shape looks right but that's about it! To be fair, at least the smaller kit doesn't have those awful recessed troughs in the hull sides that the 1/180 jobbie does. I presume Airfix did that to make painting easier.

If you wanted to convert one of these into a (waterline) third-rate, is it feasible, do you think? Would you remove the top deck razée style, or would you remove the lowest gun deck? It's maybe not worth the faff, given that everything above the weather decks needs replacing anyway...

Hi 'B'.View attachment 440738

I 'm assuming you found my little 'Victory'?
The only kit parts were the hull halves....which I scraped off all the crappy detail and started there.
Added material to give a bit better depth to the lower hull.
I xeroxed the ATOS drawings down to 1:600 and realized the proportions were pretty accurate.

Me and my partner were separated, yet she was carrying our son.
It was a difficult time and I needed something to focus on.
I look at that model and it represents 9 months extreme anxiety.
I'm happy with the model and proud of the boy.

View attachment 440739

View attachment 440740
That is a beautiful model you built sir!

There was an HMS Conqueror that was a 3rd rate 74. She was at Trafalgar commanded IIRC by a Captain Pellew, but not the famous one.

That looks like the Airfix 1/180 kit - the identifying feature being the troughs along the sides that none of these ships had!

There was an HMS Conqueror that was a 3rd rate 74. She was at Trafalgar commanded IIRC by a Captain Pellew, but not the famous one.

That looks like the Airfix 1/180 kit - the identifying feature being the troughs along the sides that none of these ships had!
Yes, it's the Airfix 1:180 kit

Back