The ALFRED 74. [COMPLETED BUILD]

Bryian

Staff member
Forum Moderator

Hi gang,
thought I might resurrect an older project of mine thats been shelved for some time. I have dusted it off and will continue with it now that I recently retired from work.

I'm sure we have all seen the beautiful model of Warrior by reverend Romero, which is the header ship photo on the model ship builder forum. The Alfred and Warrior 74 are both near identical sister ships, except for different decorations and some stern details. Let's not get the Warrior 74 mixed up with the later Warrior steam ship at Portsmouth.

Heres the earlier Warrior photo and reverend Romero's practicum which I have the set of 6 volumes and Harold Hahn's plans for the Alfred.

50d108ef26e8d9d3ea84cba992ee08c3.jpgpost-232-0-97884000-1436605771_thumb.jpg

Sorry, lousy photos, but I will post some better photos in the next day or so.

The planking is done in a exotic Australian native timber from Tasmania called Huon pine, and the wales are African blackwood. Here's a photo of the Huon pine, I have been slicing off planks from blocks of wood on my Byrnes table saw.

More to follow. Thanks for your interest friends.

..IMG_3020.JPG

Sorry, lousy photos, but I will post some better photos in the next day or so.

The planking is done in a exotic Australian native timber from Tasmania called Huon pine, and the wales are African blackwood. Here's a photo of the Huon pine, I have been slicing off planks from blocks of wood on my Byrnes table saw.

More to follow. Thanks for your interest friends.

..View attachment 155239
Wow Brian....From MDF & Balsa to Huon pine in one post. :cool: What a beautiful timber the Huon pine is. Lucky you to have some. I'll watch how it performs with interest.

Hallo Brian,
this is a very interesting project you started and I will follow with big interest.
I have also the volumes of the Romero practicum in my bookshelf, but never went thru in detail.
So definitely I will take these books into my hands and will follow your log with reading parallel.
Many Thanks for sharing this project with us

Thanks for your comments guys, and I forgot to mention its 1/64 scale.
I bought the Harold Hahn plans from reverend Romeo about 17 years ago along with his books on Warrior. I ordered some parts from Shapeways for my HMS Alfred. Even though the parts are for HMS Victory, they would almost be identical, as the ships are of a similar period.

Heres a photo of the parts. They look to have exceptionally good detailing.

IMG_3028.JPG

Hi guys,
thought I would update my build log. I have installed the rudder and painted the hull under the waterline in" white stuff".
I have just started treenailing the planks above the wales with bamboo cocktail skewers. Its a very monotonous thing to do in my opinion. I have also made and installed the channels with channel knees.

thanks for your interest.

..IMG_3098.JPGIMG_3097.JPGIMG_3099.JPGIMG_3100.JPG

Hi Brian,
What's your opinion on Huon pine for model ship building?
I have some that I have used before- mostly internally to pack between bulk heads or to be totally painted over.
My pieces seem to have grain that is too pronounced to be displayed.
Just noticing the grain on your planks are a lot finer than the timber I have.

Back