The Andrea Gail 1/60 from Billing Boats's kit - Diorama

Viconago, Varese (IT) - Vezio, Canton Ticino (CH)
We all know the terrible story of the Andrea Gail, a swordfish fishing boat, which sank with the crew of 6 sailors in '91 and whose exploits were emphasized by the movie "The Tempest Storm".
Making the diorama I wanted to "block" a shot of the movie where you can see the various phases of fishing: the launch of the bait at the stern, the catch of the swordfish on the starboard side.

IMG_20211226_104311_940.jpgIMG_20211226_104326_274.jpg
IMG_20211226_104433_834.jpg

All while the boat is underway ...

Very nice model and mounting. A few comments though. The anchor would never be left dragging in the water while underway, it would bang against the bow relentlessly causing damage. I also don't see that the anchor chain is secured either so the anchor and its chain would probably be dragged overboard never to be seen again.

The only swordfish boats I have seen used monofilament about 1/4 inch in diameter instead of line. Ganges were mono too. This would be an east fix if your research shows this to be true.

The barrels on the fore deck are very nicely done. Love the rust and weathering. I don't know what they would use them for except maybe fuel but they should certainly be firmly lashed to the stanchions.

I also don't see a liferaft canister on the cabin top. They had one aboard didn't they? Been a long time since I read the book.

The green netting on the float bin is a nice touch, very realistic touch.

The water is nicely done too, keep up the good work!

Last edited:
Back