The Black Pearl from Card and mixed media. My very first build.

MsL

Hi everyone.

I had started this scratch-build over a week ago, but ran into major amateur problems and learnt some things the hard way. I used foam board. Yeahhhh....but wait! Before you shoot me, hear me out. I trashed that one. So, l recut the keel and bulkheads out of 2mm cardstock. (It's more like mounting board). I doubled this so that the width is 4mm, and if it doesn't fit well, l will either add 1mm card stock to it, or wedge them in. I am actually rather pleased with the strength of the card. The real problem is cutting them, as l am using exacto blades, and there are many curves. It's extremely dense, which is good. l guess if l had a saw it would go 5 times faster. As l had to cut two of each piece and glue them together, it was a long, painstaking process and l had to take breaks in between. I also worked slowly and carefully. As a result, l got calluses, and not cuts. The bulkheads took me three days to cut. I scored, then went over each line, applying pressure.

As you will see in the pics, they all look a bit wonky now, but l need to measure them exactly, 'carve' them so they're smooth and symmetrical, then glue them. I haven't mounted them all yet, but this is what I've done so far. The last few pieces are drying. I deliberately cut some sections slightly larger as l kind of messed up during the cutting process. But, with the rotary tool, l am going to fix them.

And the golden rule given to me when l first got here: adjust 80% and glue 20%. This my golden rule now :)

I also invested in a rotary tool with attachments which l haven't used yet, as l need safety equipment. I am excited to use it. I feel so cool Today l got the safety glasses, gloves and mask. All of the above didn't cost as much as l thought it would, as there was a promotion deal.

I apologise for the quality of the pics, as l work at night, only, and the light is not so good.

Also, l apologise in advance for any delays in getting back to any messages.

I know the keel is messy now, bit l am going to polish it up and get it ready for planking. I learned SO much over the past few weeks, just by watching videos, and the awesome tips on sites like this one.
I tthink that once l got the keel and hull right, and the planking, l am going to celebrate, because it's hard to do. You guys are all so amazing and talented. I am not giving up.

20230416_234400.jpg

20230418_134002.jpg

a Good start with your project.
I think also very helpful, especialy with cutting cardboard with an Exacto, would be the investment in a mat for the table.
Sorry, I do not know in moment the correct english term, but here you have a link, where you can see what I mean

Back