the Colonial Schooner Hannah in 1/48 [COMPLETED BUILD]

It must feel good to have that first planking under your belt. Everything lines up very nicely with a nice flow to the planks. Well done and all good!

Hello friends I turn to you to share with you the problem and the request for help in solving it.
To produce double beaded molding, I am interested in purchasing an Artesania Latina product - Micro Shapers A. 20201129_231550.jpg
The product costs a total of only $ 9.99, but the shipping is $ 45, so I had to give up. Screenshot_20201129-231110_Chrome.jpg
Does anyone have such a surplus product that they are willing to sell or can direct me to an online store that can be purchased at a fair shipping cost?
I would love to hear any idea that will advance it to a good solution.

you can also find them on ebay from an australian dealer

ebay article number
or

you will see how the postage costs will be

To Austria it would be appr. 20 Euro, which is less than half of the first offer you showed

or also available from Germany with postage worldwide (but also expensive on ebay - but maybe write them a message, often these shops are reducing postage costs, because the shapers can be posted in a normal envelope)

I have the scrapers and they work real well just have to let the tool do the work multiple passes very light pressure. I saw a post some time back saying to wet the wood first but haven't tried that yet. That Shipping is ridiculous, hope you can find them without that major shipping cost.

I saw a post some time back saying to wet the wood first but haven't tried that yet.
Hello Joe. Don't even try to wet the timbers, it will make it worse. Watter will raise the grain and made scraping difficult. Scaper must be sharp and scrape direction alone grains, one way ONLY, never back and forth.

Hello Joe. Don't even try to wet the timbers, it will make it worse. Watter will raise the grain and made scraping difficult. Scaper must be sharp and scrape direction alone grains, one way ONLY, never back and forth.
appreciate the info Jim I have had good luck using them dry so for me no need to use water. I have a good set of cabinet scrapers I use for making Bows so I was up to date on proper use of scraping tools prior to buying the micro scrapers. I know some folks have had issues with the set, but I was always able to trace the problems they explained to improper use its an angle and pressure game, have to let the tool do the work. mine are still good and sharp and I can feel the burr on them after many uses. how I will ever sharpen them is a mystery lol fortunately they are cheap enough here in the US I can just buy another set.

I can fully agree with @pugwash, the best shape scrapers are those you will make yourself. Why? The answer is - you can make any shape you need\want! It is not too difficult, but it is not easy. However, if you scratch-building ship frames, you can make your own shape scarpers. You can use old (dull) hacksaw blades or even 'Exacto' or 'Olfa' dull chisels blades and a rotary tool with cut off disks. Check the image below as an example, courtesy of Sergey @bibigon

file(3).jpg

I can fully agree with @pugwash, the best shape scrapers are those you will make yourself. Why? The answer is - you can make any shape you need\want! It is not too difficult, but it is not easy. However, if you scratch-building ship frames, you can make your own shape scarpers. You can use old (dull) hacksaw blades or even 'Exacto' or 'Olfa' dull chisels blades and a rotary tool with cut off disks. Check the image below as an example, courtesy of Sergey @bibigon

View attachment 196523
Cant argue with that. I have several cabinet scrapers that were file shaped for certain profiles. I think alot of folks feel its not in the skill set. If your building these ships especially POF scratch, it's in your skill set you just need to try it. Got nothing to loose.

Good evening friends
In the last day I have taken a step back in the process , and all this to step two forward in the quality of construction.
In the Last Friday I met with the numbers of friends from the group of shipbuilders from Israel, including stuglo. he brought to my attention that the planking is not of a uniform height because the ribs are not of a uniform and flowing height (I must admit I felt this about a week ago, and probably needed the encouragement of stuglo to upgrade Quality of work).
In order to remove the boards I injected medical alcohol between the ribs and the planking boards.
So I removed the planking boards and started sanding the ribs are not at the required height and emphasizing the ones that stand out even with the tenths of a millimeter.
I use various sanding pads as well as a mechanical sander topped with a round sanding board.
I have quite a few more hours of sanding and smoothing until the planking resumes.

20201205_155234.jpg20201205_155511.jpg20201205_155945.jpg20201205_160624.jpg20201205_163356.jpg20201205_164938.jpg20201205_171944.jpg20201205_172825.jpg20201205_175639.jpg20201205_194604.jpg
Wishing us a continued pleasant weekend full of enjoyment

Back