The Covid Ship

I finished HMS Boudica on Christmas Eve after 12 months of work. Because I have a very limited budget, she was made by using anything I had lying around, with purchases limited to glue, guns and dead eyes (plus a lot of thread!)

I've had the plans since the mid 1970's and decided that as I was a virtual prisoner during the lock downs I would pretend that I was a Napoleonic prisoner of war for the duration. This was also reflected in the very basic tools I have available. A small fret saw, Stanley knife and scalpel, tweezers and a very small drill.
HMS Boudica is based on the Black Prince class comprising Black Prince, Hawke, Wellesley, and Melville.

My ship never existed. That has allowed me to take a few liberties with total accuracy. I've worked on the principle that if it looks right it will do. Had she existed she would have been built at the Bombay shipyard circa 1820.

I am delighted and quite proud of the final result. My only regret is the poor quality of the photographs - sorry!

034.JPG

35.JPG36.JPG37.JPG38.JPG042.JPG044.JPG045.JPG047.JPG

Thank you for your kindness.
I'm now re decking a working model of a 64 from about 1750 that I made in 1974. It has languished in the attic for years as I had a proper boat to play with. Covid has stopped proper boat play for now!
Just an idea..... why not starting abuilding log of your 64-gunner?
Would be interesting to see - you could start the log also in between from the actual 1974-status !!

I finished HMS Boudica on Christmas Eve after 12 months of work. Because I have a very limited budget, she was made by using anything I had lying around, with purchases limited to glue, guns and dead eyes (plus a lot of thread!)

I've had the plans since the mid 1970's and decided that as I was a virtual prisoner during the lock downs I would pretend that I was a Napoleonic prisoner of war for the duration. This was also reflected in the very basic tools I have available. A small fret saw, Stanley knife and scalpel, tweezers and a very small drill.
HMS Boudica is based on the Black Prince class comprising Black Prince, Hawke, Wellesley, and Melville.

My ship never existed. That has allowed me to take a few liberties with total accuracy. I've worked on the principle that if it looks right it will do. Had she existed she would have been built at the Bombay shipyard circa 1820.

I am delighted and quite proud of the final result. My only regret is the poor quality of the photographs - sorry!

View attachment 204358

View attachment 204359View attachment 204360View attachment 204361View attachment 204362View attachment 204363View attachment 204364View attachment 204365View attachment 204366
This a fantastic build from scratch. Did you have any plans to follow or did you just create this?

Hello Yotty, I have just found your build log, great job you have did on her with a lot of your peroneal touches, very nice. I find it is fun to build ones own details, this I have did for years now, oh I make my share of Boo Boo's and a fare amount of rebuilds but that is the joy of model ship building, Well Done.
Regards Lawrence

You are currently my hero. I am a great admirer of the French Prisoner of War models (as well as a multitude of other works of art and mechanical toys they made,) working with no light or electricity let alone climate control; using whatever came to hand, making their own tools; soup bones and human hair and straw for materials; as well as too many other deprivations to list. The only things they had in abundance were time and no place to go. Talk about lockdown!
I had the good fortune of having regular access to the US Naval Academy's Extensive collection of POW models for many years as a volunteer model shipwright. It is mind boggling!
What you have done with very little is an inherently valuable work of art and (I hope) family heirloom. I like the name you chose. Boudica was, indeed, a native British heroine and champion of liberty. I also like your display very much.
The only caveat I have is that UV light will quickly damage your model as well as ambient heat on sunny days. I know she looks great there, but you might want to re-think her placement, or at least explore adhesive UV resistant clear film for the window.
You have produced a treasure, my friend. Okay

Best Regards, Pete Gutterman

You are currently my hero. I am a great admirer of the French Prisoner of War models (as well as a multitude of other works of art and mechanical toys they made,) working with no light or electricity let alone climate control; using whatever came to hand, making their own tools; soup bones and human hair and straw for materials; as well as too many other deprivations to list. The only things they had in abundance were time and no place to go. Talk about lockdown!
I had the good fortune of having regular access to the US Naval Academy's Extensive collection of POW models for many years as a volunteer model shipwright. It is mind boggling!
What you have done with very little is an inherently valuable work of art and (I hope) family heirloom. I like the name you chose. Boudica was, indeed, a native British heroine and champion of liberty. I also like your display very much.
The only caveat I have is that UV light will quickly damage your model as well as ambient heat on sunny days. I know she looks great there, but you might want to re-think her placement, or at least explore adhesive UV resistant clear film for the window.
You have produced a treasure, my friend. Okay

Best Regards, Pete Gutterman
Thank you very much Pete, I'm blushing here lol.
Boudica is still in the window and produces a small income from passing coach trips. (pre booking essential).
She has a big sheet of acrylic inside the window to keep the dust off and the window faces north so UV isn't an issue so far. As for the effect of heat.... ha!! The cottage was built in 1750 and the walls are 3ft thick. Cool in summer and freezing in winter until the old coal fire gets going. There is even a well down the lane so we are a bit rustic here.
Since Boudica was finished I've revitalised a 64 gun ship I built in the 1970's and have just finished a brig of my own design that I am very pleased with. It sails well and has a small propeller to bring it back.
Thank you so much for your kind comments
Steve

View attachment 204358

View attachment 204359View attachment 204360View attachment 204361View attachment 204362View attachment 204363View attachment 204364View attachment 204365View attachment 204366
Hallo @yotty
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back