The Dutch yacht 18th century [COMPLETED BUILD]

Very nice.
Personally, I think that sails in the scale 1: 100 (1:96) shouldn't be sewn. The thickness (pitch) of the stitch is completely off the scale. I prefer sheets drawn with a pencil.
It's a very nice little model and congratulations on its completion.
Tomek

I also have a simple suggestion for the white underside, if you allow me. Take a block of wood of the right hight and place a pencil on it horizontally. Place the model on a firm stand and draw the waterline around. Usually the lowest part of the flat tuck is a little bit below the waterline, just like the broad part of the rudder and on the front side you can start close above the protruding part of the stem. Mostly these ships lay a little bit deeper at the stern, so the keel was not exactly parallel to the waterline.
I hope I was clear.
Good luck
Ab

Thanks for your words and your advice. I have stuck to the ShipYard plan in building the ship and in materials found on the web, paintings and similar models. As far as the sails are concerned, they are the first that I have made and I ride or rather that my wife has made.

I didn’t know it was a Shipyard product. I thought you scratch-built it. I know this model is based on a Chapman drawing, but he advises a sail with a small gaff and a boom, not a standing rig. I scratch built the model some years ago. Must have some pictures of it somewhere.... Ah yes it is posted in my thread: my small paper fleet.

I have tried something my way based on the models, models from museums, found on the web and the paintings of the Dutch masters. In my opinion it's not all bad.
And he didn't want it out of the box, either.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong. I am not criticising your build. You did a great job. I think it is always good to question what kit makers offer and change what you don't like. They are just human too, you know. Just thought you wanted some advice...:cool:

Don't get me wrong. I am not criticising your build. You did a great job. I think it is always good to question what kit makers offer and change what you don't like. They are just human too, you know. Just thought you wanted some advice...:cool:
Thank you. Sorry.

I have not made the box, I have no means, it is methacrylate and it is bought from a company that is dedicated to this. It is not of great quality, but the it protects the model.

Yes I think its very nice well done.

I have a favor to ask if you are still active (I'm a newbie) could you possibly post a pic. of the deck just in front of the windlass I'm trying to restore an old Dutch yacht Prince of Orange or a pic.of the plan or am I too late.

Many thanks

Henry x

Back