The Europa, a sail training and expedition vessel

I've read that it was made from a barge with bow, stern, interior and rig added. I think some Dutchmen came up with the project. You can charter on it and go to Antarctica occasionally, or to make long ocean passages under sail, or for those whose merchant mariner licensing requires sailing endorsements. It was anchored near Punta Arenas, Argentina in the Straights of Magellan. They have a web site and you can find out all about it. The Cape Horn beer picture is just for fun....

Attachments

• IMG_3279 (5).JPG
    IMG_3279 (5).JPG
    326.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3303 (3).JPG
    IMG_3303 (3).JPG
    230 KB · Views: 34
Correction—I think the Europa was made from an old German lightship that was being decommissioned. It may previously been a sailing ship before being made into a lightship

Correction—I think the Europa was made from an old German lightship that was being decommissioned. It may previously been a sailing ship before being made into a lightship

Europa is a steel-hulled barque registered in the Netherlands. Originally she was a German lightship, named Senator Brockes and built in 1911 at the H.C. Stülcken & Sohn shipyard in Hamburg, Germany. Until 1977, she was in use by the German Federal Coast Guard as a lightship on the river Elbe. A Dutchman bought the vessel (or what was left of her) in 1985 and in 1994 she was fully restored as a barque, a three-mast rigged vessel, and retrofitted for special-purpose sail-training.

Screenshot 2022-11-28 100302.png Screenshot 2022-11-28 100322.png

SV_Europa_barque_2007-07.jpg

Back