The Future of the Hobby.

Jim J

I have often times wondered what is going to become of model building in general and ship modeling in particular. It seems like most of the members of the forum are either middle aged or retired with very few younger folks. When I was working with the Boy Scouts a few years ago I came across only one young man who enjoyed the modeling past-time. He was mostly into WWII aircraft, and to encourage him I gave him several aircraft models that I had laying around that I knew I'd never build. Out ov the more than 100 boys I worked with he was the only one. It seems like todays youth are just into instant gratification - video games, social media etc. Just woadering if anyone else has any thought about this.

zoly99sask

Admin
Staff member
Administrative
Blandford Group Build

I think it was the same 50 years ago too,kids got into this hobby but after their teenager years they got married ,kids ,life got in the way snd many just returning to the hobby now,most people has no time with full time jobs,kids and other stuff going on,,I seen lots people registering in the forum started out as a kid or teenager but since than nothing ,than now they ate retiring and picking up the hobby again.

donfarr

Blandford
Blandford Group Build

AGREE WITH ZOLY, I CAN ADD ALSO WITH THE ADVANT OF MODERN TECH. IE 3-D MODELING AND INSTRUCTINS, BETTER MATERIALS AND MUCH MOR VARITY OF SHIPS TO MODE, MANY DESIGNED FOR NOVICES AND INTERMEDIATE BUILDER IT WILL HAPPEN, JUST WHEN. Don

Jimsky

Staff member

I have to agree with you, Jim. The modern youth are not interested in hobbies (for the most part), and it does look this will not change in the near future. My generation didn't have calculators, we do math using 'abacus' but... know the multiple tables 'by hard'. We read a lot of books, and the library was our friend if need to research history. Our parents taught us to use hand tools, so we can mount a picture frame on the wall.
The modern technology is great! All you need to call and the person will come in and mount a picture for you...no hassle. Why try to build something if you can buy it??

janos

In full agreement with Jims and Brian. There are so many other types of entertainment these days that it is not funny... Just imagine. We want to tell teenagers to buy a kit for starters, say for $400. Then start working on it, say a few hundred hours as they can see something like a ship forming. And put another few hundred hours to finish it. Or they can buy a fully finished, swimming ship, radio controlled, or a helicopter or whatever, ready out of the box, with zero effort, and for half the price. Which option do we think they will chose?
It was very much different in 'our' time. No computer, no smart phone, nothing. That time one in a few hundred kids might have picked up modeling, today one of a few ten thousands, perhaps. And even most of these will give it up at the first hurdle and start playing around with phones... I am afraid we are in a dying hobby... but we love it!
Janos

Stargazer

I don’t know about it’s death bed, but it definitely has a serious health issue.... a glimpse of light though - my grandson loves to be part of my modeling and loves to build and tinker with building skills toys, legos, Kannects, erector sets, etc. I am sure we are going to build a ship together one day and then who knows.... so we need to always be on the lookout for that spark of interest. But I do agree that it’s much too time consuming and slow paced for the majority of the next gens....

NMBROOK

Staff member

My sentiment entirely.My biggest annoyance are mobile phones.Kids are obsessed with them.I spend all my time on my mobile during the week through work,even when I am at home.I make a point of not using it at the weekend,only in case of emergency.The novelty will soon wear off if they were in my position.

I think the instant gratification generation in the most,like the most important tool of all for our hobby,patience.

I do look back on the fond memories of my childhood and wonder if certain aspects of modern technology are a blessing or a curse.
Swings and roundabouts,though,if it wasn't for the net,we wouldn't be having this discussion,we would not be aware that each other existed for that matter.

I feel that manual skills are in decline at Colleges,let alone on a hobby basis.Kids of today just don't want to get their hands dirty.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Olivers Historic Shipyard

The smartphone, in my opinion, is the biggest poision for the youth of this century. Sugar, drugs, alkohol, smartphone, cigarettes.
The legislator have to check this better for the future of our kids and as well our future. But he want to do this ? No.
The smartphone opens as well new door for knowledge. Its more easier to get informations and response for any questions. But i think this media works only well for the people who knows to use it.
All electronical medias paralaze the envolvent of personal skills. In our past, the only media was a book and the tv.
Captain Kirk und Scotty have helped to evolve the phantasie of the spectator. I wrote a lot of Star Trek storys in the age of 10-14.
Knowledge had only one way. To read a book or to talk with others. I build military planes in 1/72, 1/48 and read as wells book to know all of the technical details.
But to get informations in the mid 80´s was very difficult. Every photo, every text was a success.
The kids today doesnt want to work for a result. And the medias like playstation ans smartphones helps them to get it. You have to push only three or four button
to become a hero and a quick success. Nobody needs spend time in a workshop and work for a success It´s as well good for the legilator. A silly user is a good user.
He will get and use what is given. Without any questions or critics.
The new generation loose a lot of posibilities to envolve own skills, own knowledge. I can see it on my own kids and as well on the kids from my friends.
There are any exceptions, but most of them is on the way to became silly and stupid users.
I am very horrified, than the kids nowaday not are really interested in technology. How works a carrier, a plane, the things of the everyday life. Most of them, not all.
What i miss as well is the enthusiasm in specific things. I think enthusiasm is one important thing to get any goals, to become a competent person in any thing. Today in my hobby, tomorrow in my profession. The kids today lost a lot of important instincts.

Video kills the radio star !

shipbuilder

All very true - For years, I have tried to influence model shipbuilders to scratchbuild, but with very little success. Initially, years ago, it was superseded by the kit, and the kit will soon be superseded by 3D printing. I don't know how it will all end, probably just fizzle out, but none of that will affect me, as I can just carry on as I am in my "backwater" - Bob

NMBROOK

Staff member

The smartphone, in my opinion, is the biggest poision for the youth of this century. Sugar, drugs, alkohol, smartphone, cigarettes.
The legislator have to check this better for the future of our kids and as well our future. But he want to do this ? No.
The smartphone opens as well new door for knowledge. Its more easier to get informations and response for any questions. But i think this media works only well for the people who knows to use it.
All electronical medias paralaze the envolvent of personal skills. In our past, the only media was a book and the tv.
Captain Kirk und Scotty have helped to evolve the phantasie of the spectator. I wrote a lot of Star Trek storys in the age of 10-14.
Knowledge had only one way. To read a book or to talk with others. I build military planes in 1/72, 1/48 and read as wells book to know all of the technical details.
But to get informations in the mid 80´s was very difficult. Every photo, every text was a success.
The kids today doesnt want to work for a result. And the medias like playstation ans smartphones helps them to get it. You have to push only three or four button
to become a hero and a quick success. Nobody needs spend time in a workshop and work for a success It´s as well good for the legilator. A silly user is a good user.
He will get and use what is given. Without any questions or critics.
The new generation loose a lot of posibilities to envolve own skills, own knowledge. I can see it on my own kids and as well on the kids from my friends.
There are any exceptions, but most of them is on the way to became silly and stupid users.
I am very horrified, than the kids nowaday not are really interested in technology. How works a carrier, a plane, the things of the everyday life. Most of them, not all.
What i miss as well is the enthusiasm in specific things. I think enthusiasm is one important thing to get any goals, to become a competent person in any thing. Today in my hobby, tomorrow in my profession. The kids today lost a lot of important instincts.

Video kills the radio star !
This is a grim subject but you managed to put a smile on my face Oliver.I remember this back on Top of the Pops 1979.For those that don't here's a link.Little did I know at the time,the shape of things to come.

Kind Regards

Nigel

ADC

I find it hard to imagine many of today’s youth will still be glued to social media and instant gratification to the same extent when they get old. As they mature I hope this obsession with social media and instant gratification is a cyclic phenomenon and many will be seeking more meaningful pursuits. I truly hope that I am right. It is not youths fault. This way of life has been imposed on them by the technology revolution. Sooner or later they will discover the emptiness of social media. I know of quite a few that have now dumped life consuming traps like Facebook.

Last edited:

shipbuilder

I turned my back on technology many years ago, but I would not like to be without the computer or Facebook. My Facebook group, Merchant Ships in Miniature has over 2,500 members, many of whom are active in building all types of merchant ships. I was surprised at how popular it became, and how quickly. My mobile phone is only switched on if I wish to make a phone call when out, but that is not very often.
Bob

Jim J

Yes Technology can be a wonderful tool when used properly, but it can also be a curse. I recently read an article about kids and technology that stated that very few actually understand the very tech that they are using. All they know how to do is push buttons and watch as the device does everything for them. It's kind of sad really, to think that their parents - probably our children actually - and the schools have forgotten how to teach creative thinking. There are millions of jobs that are going unfilled because nobody wants to be a carpenter, plumber, electrician or garbage man any more. That would require manual labor! They are told go to college and learn something worthless, like "Gender Studies" - yes that is a real major - and you can earn major money and not have to do anything. When they find out that there are no jobs available in their field they suddenly turn into pariahs - taking the lifeblood out of the economy, and complaining how repressed they are.
Sorry - sort of jumped up on my soap box. Better get down before I fall and make an ass out of myself:oops:

Dave Stevens (Lumberyard)

Staff member
Sponsor

It seems like todays youth are just into instant gratification

that is not the case I have 3 grandsons 2 are now in college. All three of them are well acquainted with CAD drafting, 3D modeling and printing and robotics. None of these offer instant gratification. The times and technology are just changing.
Back when i was in school the schools offered shop classes wood shop, auto shop, foundry and industrial arts in general. These are now antiquated and have been removed from schools then replaced with high tech.

one grandson built a ship armed it and sailed it, in vertical reality very few of us can do something like this.

as far as sitting down and building a wooden ship model i get a WHY? i can just print it.

watching my grandsons and their friends I noticed few are involved in social media my personal friends want no part of it. I am thinking this social media thing is for the common masses, those who are involved in higher learning or developing a careers or specialized interests do not have time for it and consider it nonsense.

I don't know how it will all end, probably just fizzle out,
I don’t know about it’s death bed, but it definitely has a serious health issue

lack of interest will not kill the hobby suicide will, just think of the public in general reading all the hate and bashing going on in social media one group against another, the stupid politics people don't want to read this crap they just want a fun hobby to be involved in. This hobby is small enough without it being divided within itself by hate groups serving self agendas. This is killing the hobby lack of solidary.

shipbuilder

I know that I am not clever enough to master the latest electronic technology. CAD sounds good, but I don't have the patience for that, so just have to use pen and paper. When I realised this in 1992, I threw in a very good job in marine communcations and became self employed at buildimng model ships and writing, and was much happier for it. I may not be able to pass modern exams, but I can still design and build a radio receiver (using valves), or a transmitter that could communicate right across the world.

Staff member
Sponsor

you all are not giving enough credit to the young generation I personally know young men age 20 who will blow your mind with biorobots, civil engineering and computer generated imagery.
the smart ones are REALLY smart

my daughter is a grade school teacher and sometimes we just sit and talk about the young generation. She feels the average grade school student is equal to a high school student of the 1970s when it come to general knowledge

shipbuilder

The electronics industry was "blowing my mind" when I was in it - that is why I quit! They are indeed brilliant, but they are welcome to it all - I am glad I got out - Bob

Life at best is but an enigma, and like children pursuing a "Will O' The Wisp,"so do we all pursue the illusive beacon light of a brighter and happier to-morrow - always hoping, never attaining, though striving ever until, wearied of the vain pursuit, at last we fall by the wayside and are forgotten.
Charles Clark Munn (1847 - 1917)

Staff member
Sponsor

Parents who wonder where the younger generation is going should remember where it came from.

Think of this hobby as our child a young generation that we should mold and teach. Develop knowledge for future use be it by hand art, craft or high tech. What are we passing on? Hate, greed social media bullies pushing their warped agendas. Teaching not to work together to further this hobby but to rip it apart and destroy it.

As it stands it deserves to die and be buried let the young generation rebuild from the ashes of hate to a unified and enjoyable hobby.

For this art craft hobby to survive and be something of interest to the next generation it needs to be refined. We are not passing this on to a stupid generation of kits sitting in front of a computer playing video games. NO! we are engaging minds far more developed that we realize.

and they have no concern or interest in this hobby ripping itself apart with stupidly. I am not even the next generation and I find the direction of the future distasteful.

we are at fault not the young generation