The Galilee Boat Circa 40-50 BC Scale 1:24 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Thanks for the advise, I will try to obtain that book, it sounds very informative.
Hi Bluebeard,
I did a short review of the book Wooden Ship Building and the Interpretation of Shipwrecks, J. Richard Steffy just over a week ago. I posted it in the New on Your Bookshelf thread.
I believe you will find some excellent information in the book. There are quite a few examples of different rigs. I also added the link to the publisher.

https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/new-on-your-bookshelf-show-it-here.4042/post-190457

Last edited:
Hi Bluebeard,
I did a short review of the book Wooden Ship Building and the Interpretation of Shipwrecks, J. Richard Steffy just over a week ago. I posted it in the New on Your Bookshelf thread.
I believe you will find some excellent information in the book. There are quite a few examples of different rigs. I also added the link to the publisher.

https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/new-on-your-bookshelf-show-it-here.4042/post-190457
I too recommend the book and likely saw it first in the RigerD posting. RIch (PT-2)

This is preparation for the extention of the stern.
IMG_9377.JPG

The kit included an already cut piece for the stern but according to all of the rendering I have gather, this piece was a bit longer, so I did my own.

IMG_9376.jpg

About the Cut Water, the instruction states that you should take a note card and trace the profile of the bow and to draw your own profile that looks best to you for the outer edge.
After creating and installing the Cutwater, I realized that it was just a bit to long, so I reshape it.

IMG_9709.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9373.jpg
    IMG_9373.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9374.JPG
    IMG_9374.JPG
    230.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9375.jpg
    IMG_9375.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 1
On my research I found these picture on Pinterest. The first one is from a Norwegian? antique boat.
The two others are from a full scale reconstruction of the Galilee Boat many years ago on the grounds of Kibbutz Ein Gev.
Screen Shot 2021-09-18 at 12.54.31 PM.jpgc75775e2381c4e460ba302c107ac6d6a.jpgScreen Shot 2021-09-18 at 1.06.04 PM.jpg
So after a long time deciding, I did my own version of the Riggin Pins because I didn’t like the simple dowels supplied with the kit.
IMG_0673.jpgIMG_0674.jpg

For the Deck Boards, I found a piece of nice looking walnut and proceeded to do lots of cutting using my Proxxon table saw.
Just like LyleK1 said, it would have been appropriate to have some sort of deck for the fisherman’s to maneuver wile fishing.
You can also notice in this picture that I use rosewood for the Cap Rails.
In order to shape them to the appropriate curve I created a jig and after letting the strips under water for one hour, I clamp it to the jig and let it dried with very nice results.
Also I created a Squared Mast Step as you can see here.
Now I am working in the mast details. As soon I am done I will post more pictures.

IMG_0675.jpgIMG_0676.jpg

Last edited:
Oar Locks.
For the oar locks I choose this kind base on my research from the Viking Museum.
787b620ccb81708980a306b415f7ca4a.jpg

Based on that I came up with this idea. I still have 642a7192d0afb103e8ec50104262f890.jpg

to open the holes and insert a rope loop like this picture.

P5040034.JPG

IMG_0677.jpg

BLUEBEARD WONDERFUL BUILD WELL DESCRIBED, I AM STILL HOLDING OFF ON ORDERING UNTIL I SETTEL IN MY MIND HOW YOU DID THE RIBS THEY FRIEGHTEN ME. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON
Donfarr,
This a direct link to the Parts List and the Building Manual of the Galilee kit.
Now everybody could see by themselves, how this kit is assemble.

Dear friend, you are doing a very impressive job For those who are interested in reading about the boat, I have attached the link to the Yigal Alon Museum website, which can be read in English.
The surviving and recovered/reconstructed lower hull framing gives insitu construction evidence but as there appears to be nothing above those last frames and strakes the upper hull, spars, sail and rigging would be speculative and inferred from other iconographic sources which under detailed examination by numerous scholars prove to be very untrustworthy as even those were often an "artistic presentation" which is not supported by recovered wrecks. . . for example the typical positioning of the mast step at mid ships while actual findings show it was more often placed about 30% aft of stem and not 50%. Your own model though looks like it will be a well done boat and to your own mind and eye. A far as I am aware, setting mast steps aside, there has only been on very ancient wreck with a mast standing in place by Ballard 2004 seen by his submersible in an anerobic layer of very deep cold water, in the Black Sea as I recall. Just some thoughts. Rich (PT-2)

PT-2. Donfarr, Shota and WDO:

I have a question that all of you might probably have the answer.

Should I use a two-piece tight up yard like this one or just a single one?
I have seen many renderings starting with early Egypt, with this type of main yard.
I am talking only about the yard portrayed in this rendering, not the rigging.

281cd1785fa5ec49811a2e74a29f0f73.jpg

Last edited:
PT-2. Donfarr, Shota and WDO:

I have a question that all of you might probably have the answer.

Should I use a two-piece tight up yard like this one or just a single one?
I have seen many renderings starting with early Egypt, with this type of main yard.
I am talking only about the yard portrayed in this rendering, not the rigging.

View attachment 256974
I recognize this figure from page 75 of the doctoral thesis of Richard J. Whitwright who incorporates a number of conclusions of other researchers ahead of him and repeatedly notes iconographic, graphic presentations from scribes or "artists" of those ages. A good point that he makes about masts, compound with assumed woodlings, and yards, is that the size of the vessel and assumed sail area bent on any mast or yard would likely determine if it was single or multiple parts, joined. My own assumption is that the Galilee boat is a small vessel so single part mast and yards would be associated. If you had a larger vessel with larger elements then the composite would be justifiably assumed. ASSUMPTION is the main thesis in most of these fragmented recoveries with the actual physical remains for analysis. The decision is in your mind and eye as to what will be the best presentation. The figure that you posted above is a basic and simplified location diagram and not stated as the product of a particular research finding. One repeated source that he quotes is C, J. Marchaj whose earlier book, Sailing Theory and Practice, 1964, I bought in 1967 when I began racing in a dedicated manner and needed to know as much as I could pack into my head about the aerodynamic and hydrodynamic factors to tune my boat and keep is constantly re-tuned by in real time adjusting the lines and control of heel for best speed.

Back to your question, I will be combining information from that figure as well as the detailed book, Wooden Ship Bulding and the Interpretation of Shipwrecks, J. Richard Steffy, which includes an ample amount of details and illustrations of the reconstituted Kyrenia which I will be building and bashing the kit as needed to bring what I can gather and conclude as the best that I am able and feasible to execute. . .. not having the skills of DEAN62.

Thank PT-2,
You are a naval walking encyclopedia.
I won’t do anything more to the model before I investigate with you about the proper way to move forward.
You pass down confidence and sureness by your comments.

Thank PT-2,
You are a naval walking encyclopedia.
I won’t do anything more to the model before I investigate with you about the proper way to move forward.
You pass down confidence and sureness by your comments.
Please do not consider me as the last word, maybe a go to guy, but I just like to read a lot and gather related information with a demonstrable provenance. When I see something that someone in my field of interests states, my first question is where did the find that and was that source credible and also vetted. We can only do so much in finding what is true or just tradition . . . and tradition has been passed along for eons until it becomes the truth until some other researcher disproves it, ideally by physical evidence which itself is suscptable to interpretation. That is the big game in many fields when differing opinions are posted which the larger group vet for their own independent confirmation or rejection. Quite a game if we have time and resources to play it. Rich (PT-2)

Very well said.
Specially when we are building a ship with so little information about it.
Then everything falls in our speculation and what it looks appalling to the best of our knowledge.

I just finished the mast, yard, spars, thwarts/seats.
I folowed PT-2 advice about the yard.
A good point that he makes about masts, compound with assumed woodlings, and yards, is that the size of the vessel and assumed sail area bent on any mast or yard would likely determine if it was single or multiple parts, joined. My own assumption is that the Galilee boat is a small vessel so single part mast and yards would be associated. If you had a larger vessel with larger elements then the composite would be justifiably assumed.
So I went ahead and created my version of the yard.
IMG_0722.jpg

Last edited:
Back