The Galilee Boat Circa 40-50 BC Scale 1:24 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Today I finally got to take the pictures of the progress.
Last time I was undecided in how to proceed with the creation and attachment of the rudders but our good old friend PT-2 helped me out.
So, this is what I came up with.
I started by creating this rudder guides but before gluing the to the gunwale I dug a small groove in the back to accommodate de looping of the attachment rope.
The pictures will explain it on a better way.

IMG_0866.jpgIMG_0867.jpgIMG_0869.jpgIMG_0871.jpg

Last edited:
This is beautiful work Bluebeard and I am very glad that Rich could assist with the rudders. This is such an important boat to so many people and forms the core to so many morals, that it is simply wonderful that you can bring history to life in such a tangible and factual manner.

Heinrich, I totally agreed with your comment.
Thank you for your encouraging words.
As Heinrich said, and I suspect others seeing your excellently built and finished boat, it has wonderful wood tones and detailing. Congratulations on all of your rigging with the fine finishing details of the falls and rudder assembly. First Place Metal
First Place MetalFirst Place Metal Rich

Thank You Rich for Your helpful input in building my model. It has guided me to bring out some details that I never knew existed.
Please don’t hesitate to share does valuable recommendations.

Thank You Rich for Your helpful input in building my model. It has guided me to bring out some details that I never knew existed.
Please don’t hesitate to share does valuable recommendations.
I think that suggestions and added information to SoS members who are in a build is the real treasure of SoS. Just part of our membership and participation. Rich

First step in preparing The Sail.
By no means I am intending to show my way of doing sails as a tutorial.
I am still experimenting how to use the sewing machine, so I am no expert but maybe my way could be used as a small guidance for others that are trying to create their own sails and yet are afraid.

I first measure and mark the overall size and then I add one inch all around to fold and create strong edges.

IMG_0949.jpg
IMG_0946.jpg

A clothes iron helps keep folds flat to make it easier for sewing, after that I mark my first stitching line, 1/8” off the edge on the none folded face of the sail.

IMG_0948.jpg

Last edited:

The
Taylor Shop is Now Open,
This is my Singer $100.0 sewing machine...and Yes, my wife bought me a sewing basket.
I always use an old piece of t-shirt to refresh my memory of how to use the machine since I use it only when I do sails for my models.
IMG_0958.jpg

IMG_0959.jpg

Since traditional sailing craft have bolt-ropes around the edges of their sails, this is why I sew my first stiching line.
By the way, you guys probably have seen this website related to model sailmaking.
IMG_0960.jpg
IMG_0961.jpg
After the borders are done, they get trimmed.

Attachments

• IMG_0964.jpg
    IMG_0964.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 3
Back