The Galilee Boat Circa 40-50 BC Scale 1:24 [COMPLETED BUILD]

This is final results. Not too bad.
IMG_0968.jpg
Tomorrow I will be experimenting with a light coffee solution trying darken the sail and give it some character.
If you guys have a better way to obtain this look, please give me your two cents on the subject.

This is final results. Not too bad.
View attachment 260558
Tomorrow I will be experimenting with a light coffee solution trying darken the sail and give it some character.
If you guys have a better way to obtain this look, please give me your two cents on the subject.
Your personally sewn sail looks great. Very straight and uniform work my friend. Will you add brailing rings on the sail windward side and lines to brail fairleads on the yard? I don't recall if your riggng on the yard also includes a brace line aft from each end. Your boat will be a master piece for the Master, however we conceive of both. Rich (PT-2)

With all bolt rope edges done, I lightly pencil mark all the 1" wide panels needed.
View attachment 260555
View attachment 260556
View attachment 260557
One question after your sewing is done.. . . did you match the material used in the thread with that of the sail cloth? Say if sail is cotton or linen and the thread poly, the sail may shrink and the sewing will not which may cause a puckering after moistened and it drys. That is the unhappy event of my own BN sails. . . smooth to puckered/bumpy. You may decide to make another sail if you find the problem and then be able to match the materials to keep it as smooth as feasible. Just an idea. Rich

Rich,
I would like to add those details very much.
How about any of your old drawings that might guide me through it.
Call me lazy but I am really exhausted looking for historical details.
If you don’t mind, I will reproduce whatever you throw at me.
I blindly trust your maritime knowledge.

Rich,
I would like to add those details very much.
How about any of your old drawings that might guide me through it.
Call me lazy but I am really exhausted looking for historical details.
If you don’t mind, I will reproduce whatever you throw at me.
I blindly trust your maritime knowledge.
Blindly trusting my maritime knowledge may be like the blind men each touching some part of an elephant and saying what it is.
Attached is a figure from a thesis paper showing a typical simplified sail and rigging of the Bronze Ages and a second one with the notations and elements somewhat larger than shown on the first.
Simplified rigging components Figure.jpgRigging Components Annotations.jpg
Source: Maritime Technological Change in the Ancient Mediterranean: The Invention of teh Lanteen Sail, Richard Julian Whitewright, PhD Thesis, June 2008, p. 75.
I will be using this in part for consideration of my Kyrenia boat rigging and in comparison with the kit plan, and other photos of Kyrenia II sent to me by Christos Messsis of Cyprus who lives with a few hundred meters of that reconstruction, to whom I am deeply indebted for other research links and photos.

That looks very appropriate for my Galilee boat.
Let me start printing those drawings to tack on front of my working table.
Great, now I have something tangible to move forward with this project.
Maybe at the end of the build I place two small nameplate on both sides of the bow with “Rich’s” name on it.
After all, you are the naval architect and I am the shipwright.

Last edited:
That looks very appropriate for my Galilee boat.
Let me start printing those drawings to tack on front of my working table.
Great, now I have something tangible to move forward with this project.
Maybe at the end of the build I place two small nameplate on both sides of the bow with “Rich’s” name on it.
After all, you are the naval architect and I am the shipwright.
That is a great compliment but I don't feel comfortable with my name on this boat as names were not used back then, only in the Agean Seas and Easter Med possibly were stylized eyes painted on and the purpose is speculative but possibly to ward off evil spirits or to guide the vessel.

From a glossary of terms in a paper, On the Interpretation of Watercraft in Ancient Art, here are some better definitions for consideration:
Brailed Sail: A rig that employs brailing lines, also known as brails, to control the amount of sail exposed to the wind as well as for determining the sail's geometry.

Brailing lines (Brails): Lines attached at intervals tgo the foot of a sail and brought vertically up through "brailing rings" or "brailing fairleads" sewn to the sail. The lines are carried up over teh yard [through fairleads on top]and then brought astern in a bunch. Sail is controled in a manner similar to that of modern Venetian blinds.
Hope this clarifies the understanding.
Rich

Of course it does.

My jaw dropped when you asked: Did you match the material used in the thread with that of the sailcloth?. Say if sail is cotton or linen and the thread poly, the sail may shrink and the sewing will not which may cause a puckering after moistened and it dries.
My sail might have that problem.
After your comment I stared doing some research and I read that using old cotton bead sheets together with cotton thread will do the job.
Well, my wife, crying (LOL) gave me one pillowcase and I started to work on another sail.

Rich, on another note, the thing about your name it was only a metaphor.

Of course it does.

My jaw dropped when you asked: Did you match the material used in the thread with that of the sailcloth?. Say if sail is cotton or linen and the thread poly, the sail may shrink and the sewing will not which may cause a puckering after moistened and it dries.
My sail might have that problem.
After your comment I stared doing some research and I read that using old cotton bead sheets together with cotton thread will do the job.
Well, my wife, crying (LOL) gave me one pillowcase and I started to work on another sail.

Rich, on another note, the thing about your name it was only a metaphor.
Hopefully that treasured pillow case doesn't have flowers printed on it. ;) Rich

This is what I did to match the material used in the thread with that of the sailcloth.
I went to my nearest fabric place and I bought this Premium Muslin 100% cotton and cotton thread.
Since I was at the store, I bought two different colors, one has a denser texture that the other.
Maybe tomorrow I will decide which one to use.
But now I think, I am good to go.
03BAAC93-049B-476F-9BA5-DED37D7C225A.jpeg
F8C0EA1D-F455-4959-9F15-4CEE982BCBED.jpegC5DD101E-D906-4C89-A05D-4B05BFAFF946.jpeg
360E51B7-2610-4F9A-A4A9-987D1F4FFD31.jpeg05D233AF-61BE-4780-8B21-F00306CF7232.jpeg

Last edited:
I am not planning to stain it though I don’t want to risk it.
You are stocked for a whole fleet as a sail-maker. I am cheap and only ask them to cut off a yard when I buy. You may want to wash, dry, and iron it first to get rid of the seizing in the fabric. . . at least on a test piece to see what will give you the best material. Rich

Fantastic job thus far! Really like this build! ;)
For a some more background information is a research paper that includes "The Boat of Galilee" in regards to the lumbers used in construction following Dendroarchaeological analysis of the wood cells.
The paper title page:
Research Paper Tiele page.jpg
and the boat
Research Paper The Boat of Galilee.jpg

paragraph itself:

Rich

WOW, excellent information. You are always providing so much valuable insight.

Now, picking up where we left last time Rich, you recommended: "You may want to wash, dry, and iron it first to get rid of the seizing in the fabric".
Well, that is what I did but I also let the sail soak my Hawaiian coffee for a night and it turned out a very nice color, I love it, now has some character and the color goes icely with the wood tones of the boat.
IMG_1005.jpg

Trying to help a client I had to look into the Benjamin Latham Instruction book and I found this very precise drawing about how to sew my sail seems and that is exactly what I did as you can see here in this picture.
Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 1.20.32 PM.jpg

Back