The gentleman’s high speed launch that never was.

During the First World War the British Royal Navy developed, in conjunction with Sir John Thornycroft (a pioneering boatbuilder), a revolutionary fast torpedo boat. The type was modestly called the 55 foot Coastal Motor Boat, to avoid drawing attention to the real nature of the boats. In fact they were extremely fast for that period, powered by twin petrol engines developing 1000 brake horse power and achieving more than 42 knots. They carried two 18 inch torpedoes, launched from the back of the boat while the boat was travelling at top speed towards the target. The boat would then shear away to avoid being struck by its own torpedo. The navy also developed a 40 foot version that carried a single torpedo. A good description of this class of boat can be found here:
https://www.shippingwondersoftheworld.com/motor_boats.html

The hulls were very lightly built on a framework that could have been intended for an aeroplane, and were sheathed with 2 very thin layers of mahogany planking, the first layer fixed diagonally and the second fixed in the conventional fore and aft direction. The finished skin thickness was 10mm thick at the deck, increasing to 14mm on the bottom. Superimposed on the hull shape was an additional thin skin covering the front half of the bottom of the boat that formed a hard chine shape terminating in a step at half-length which was the common practice for hydroplanes and other racing hulls at the time.
https://thecoastalmotorboatproject.com/

There are reports of the same class of boat achieving even higher speeds when the type was developed after the war by other navies, the French claiming 60 mph (knots or miles?) and an apparently exaggerated claim of 80 knots. Similar racing hulls were reaching well over 100 mph by 1933.

Recently a team has commenced building a replica of the 40 foot version, see this link:
https://www.pnbpropertytrust.org/historic-boats/boatdetails/cmb-replica-costal-motor-boat/77/

I found a few other photos and a nice plan, the first one is the 55 foot version, the remainder appear to be the 40 foot version, including the model in the British National Maritime Museum: ( There are several more photos of the museum model: https://www.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/rmgc-object-67382 )

cmb3.jpg

cmb1.png

cmb5.jpg

1645634134457.png

Now the fictional bit:

At the end of the war there was one hull under construction that the Navy decide to dispose of. Thornycroft identified a very rich gentleman who was looking for a super-fast launch and negotiated a deal with him. It was agreed that the mahogany planking should be finely finished and varnished, the planking would extend over the well that accommodated the torpedo racks, and a fancy wheelhouse would be installed.

My model represents this one-off craft. I used John Lambert’s ¼ inch scale plan which contains a lot of data on just one sheet. I enlarged the cross sections to 1/18 scale to keep the model at about 100cm long. Thus far I have constructed the basic framework:

m3.JPGm2.JPGm1.JPG
m4.JPG

I decided to construct the deck first to check the construction materials and method. I used a commercial mahogany veneer that was ultra-thin but bonded to a fine film-like melamine layer that ensured there would be no distortions or splintering of the veneer. I found it on ebay : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203580590080

I cut the veneer into strips about 30cm long and 2cm wide and commenced laying in a diagonal direction, sticking the backing fabric to the longitudinal stringers. This was followed by a nylon fabric layer applied by cutting a leg from a pair of ladies' tights over the whole hull, stretched tight to remove any ripples and then pinned to the lower hull. This was followed by a few coats of spray varnish that set it in place and provided a stable and even base for the second diagonal layer of veneer that was laid at 90 degrees to the first layer. The centreline where the cut ends of each piece met was a little irregular; a centre strip of mahogany was inset into a recess cut along the centreline.

deck.JPG

The deck was then varnished with several coats of CooVar "yacht and seaplane varnish", rubbed down with 240 grade wet and dry used wet. It took 6 coats to fill in the grain and the tiny holes that are a feature of mahogany. The final flatting and varnish coats will be applied when the rest of the hull is veneered.

deck2.JPG

I am well pleased with the appearance of the deck; it has the appearance of much narrower veneer strips which replicates the prototype construction. The main deviation is that the final layer of veneer is laid diagonally whereas the prototype was finished with a fore-and-aft layer. It was considered to be impractical to lay veneer along the length of the model hull. There are a couple of patchy bits but these will be eliminated when the cabin and cockpit are added. The test of the materials and construction method was considered to be a success - all I have to do now is try to get a perfect result when planking the more complex shapes of the hull body.

The style of the upperworks will be of similar style to this retro speed boat (56 ft cruiser built by Vic Carpenter in 1990) which is of a similar size and whaleback shape as the CMB although the sheerline of the CMB is much lower. The position of the wheelhouse and cockpit match the layout of the CMB hull, where the twin engines are set at about half-length with the wheelhouse just behind the engines. The torpedo well will be cut out as necessary to form the cockpit well.

cabin top2.jpg

Wish me luck with the remainder of the veneer planking!

The ships hull framing does indeed look like the forms used in aircraft of the time.

Reminds me of the fuselages of scale aircraft kits of WWII fighters and bombers.

This is a very interesting "speed-boat" and also the history behind.
I will follow your building log with big modeling and historical interest
Many Thanks for sharing with us

BTW: Beautiful lines and very good work on the deck
The retro speed boat is a dream

A progress report.

The gentleman visited Thornycroft's yard while the basic hull was being built and was so enamoured by the clean lines that he asked the builders to omit the construction of the step in the underbody.

cmbb.JPGcmba.JPG

During the First World War the British Royal Navy developed, in conjunction with Sir John Thornycroft (a pioneering boatbuilder), a revolutionary fast torpedo boat. The type was modestly called the 55 foot Coastal Motor Boat, to avoid drawing attention to the real nature of the boats. In fact they were extremely fast for that period, powered by twin petrol engines developing 1000 brake horse power and achieving more than 42 knots. They carried two 18 inch torpedoes, launched from the back of the boat while the boat was travelling at top speed towards the target. The boat would then shear away to avoid being struck by its own torpedo. The navy also developed a 40 foot version that carried a single torpedo. A good description of this class of boat can be found here:

The hulls were very lightly built on a framework that could have been intended for an aeroplane, and were sheathed with 2 very thin layers of mahogany planking, the first layer fixed diagonally and the second fixed in the conventional fore and aft direction. The finished skin thickness was 10mm thick at the deck, increasing to 14mm on the bottom. Superimposed on the hull shape was an additional thin skin covering the front half of the bottom of the boat that formed a hard chine shape terminating in a step at half-length which was the common practice for hydroplanes and other racing hulls at the time.

There are reports of the same class of boat achieving even higher speeds when the type was developed after the war by other navies, the French claiming 60 mph (knots or miles?) and an apparently exaggerated claim of 80 knots. Similar racing hulls were reaching well over 100 mph by 1933.

Recently a team has commenced building a replica of the 40 foot version, see this link:
https://www.pnbpropertytrust.org/historic-boats/boatdetails/cmb-replica-costal-motor-boat/77/

I found a few other photos and a nice plan, the first one is the 55 foot version, the remainder appear to be the 40 foot version, including the model in the British National Maritime Museum: ( There are several more photos of the museum model: https://www.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/rmgc-object-67382 )

View attachment 292959

View attachment 292955

View attachment 292956

View attachment 292960
Hallo @ChrisP
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

so, yesterday I achieved the magnificent age of 77 and today I go in for my second hip replacement ..... nice birthday present ? well, I certainly hope so, and the home rest regime will give me a chance to start building Alert (Trident).

so, yesterday I achieved the magnificent age of 77 and today I go in for my second hip replacement ..... nice birthday present ? well, I certainly hope so, and the home rest regime will give me a chance to start building Alert (Trident).
2 memorable days!m, Chris! Hopefully some productivity on the build, during your recovery. Get welk soon!
Regards, Peter

I am crossing all available fingers (and toes)
Hope you can play football soon - and build models

View attachment 292959

View attachment 292955

View attachment 292956

View attachment 292960
Hallo @ChrisP
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Hope with your new hip is everything working and you can play football!
Did you start with the Alert?

many thanks for your good wishes. Hip replacement has its 1st birthday tomorrow and I can manage everything except picking up tiny pieces from the floor, which a clumsy one-eyed oaf like me is a serious handicap!! Alert was built over the winter period and the hull is complete, along with partial decking. I need to get the deck details completed over the next few months.

alert.JPG

I am currently building 2 live steam launches. One is 1 metre long and is a near replica of BAT which AFAIK was built in 1890 and used on an English lake with only a stoker on board whilst the boat was navigated remotely by a pioneer in radio technology. The controller stood on a hill above the lake and successfully steered it. Steam installation is complete and tested, just the radio installation and some deck details remain to be done.

bat.JPG

The other one is a close replica of the Osborne launch which was used by the Royal Family (Victoria's family) when they stayed at their holiday home of Osborne House on the Isle of Wight. I made a 1/12 model of this one several years ago but it is too short for a steam installation so it has been a display piece.

osb2.JPG

The larger model is in frame at present, also 1 metre long (1/10 scale). She will look resplendent when the white ensign, the royal standard and the Prince of Wales' feathers are added.

Well, that's me up to date and again thank you for your kind wishes to a 78 year-old codger like me.

Last edited:
Back