The Hole Truth

I seem to get through a lot of fine drill bits. Mary Rose requires lots of holes <1mm to receive tiny eyebolts, pins, cleats etc.
Here are some recent buys.
The bits with the colour coded collars have a thick shaft compatible with a dremel.
However, they are are extremely brittle and those used so far broke after a couple of holes, Perhaps I am just clumsy.
The basic set of twist bits seem more fit for purpose; I haven't broken any - yet.
(The big, black, non-motorised, non archimedean thing is not much use - though the chuck might be if I can find something to fit it to
Perhaps I could fashion a bow and string to drive it like a boy-scout without a zippo)
The 1.5 - 3mm range means I can restore my basic set of medium drill bits back to the garage workshop where they belong.
The set of collets are compatible with the (Really useful!) rechargeable mini (not) dremel that I bought recently.
They extend (downwards to 0.5mm) the size of bits I can use with this tool.
dremeldrills.jpg drill bits.jpg collts10.jpg

The drills with a collar are only good for drill press or mill. They are of very high quality though. They cannot be used with hand drill.
Thanks. It seems that I am uninformed rather than clumsy. I'm OK with that and wiser now.
Knowledge gained at the loss of a mere £3.51 - a bargain. This is a very useful site.

Also one lesson I learned with fine small drill bits is to chuck them up tightly, as short as can be achieved to get hold drilled.

I broke many bits by chucking up 1/2 or 3/4" of bit sticking out of chuck and when any pressure was applied they bent and broke, but if chuck very short they work better, with no room to bend and break, if used properly, even in hand drills.

Back