The Inspiration & Challenge that is "La Salamandre" 1:48

All hand carving ............. unless fingernails are in a different category.
The detail with hand carving is amazing and beside very sharp small tools, devices to hold things in place while carving would seem to be necessary. I cannot say enough for such hand skill. What wood did you use?

Thanks guys for all the positive feedback. It means a lot !

I often depend on an old fashioned jeweler's hand vice -- the kind that locks by pushing a wedge into the back end. Use a few standard X-acto knives, and a handful of small Flexcut chisels and gouges. Some of my most useful blades I ground myself from broken swiss files. I use a fairly ordinary sharpening stone, but have found the Flexcut Slipstrop to be almost magic for the final hone -- so quick and easy to use. I do a lot of the final smoothing and perfecting on my carving by going over them with the tips of carbide swiss files.

Regarding the wood used, the brown wood is pear, lighter colored stuff is boxwood, and of course the black wood is ebony. The ends of the deck planks that you see are holly.

hello , Jimmy my eye has fallen on this ship. I too plan to scratch build this ship.The book by Ancre , Jean B. and Hubert B..But let us start buy getting the book here .Just ordered it today. Your ship is very nice , beautiful even.

As of March, 2020, I along with most of the occupants of this planet, found myself with more time on my hands than usual. Thank heaven for ship modelling ! So the decision was made to rotate LA SALAMANDRE end-for-end and go to work on the stern decorations. Scratch-building requires as much or more time to be spent engineering each piece as in making it. So the following photos (OF STERN DECORATIONS ONLY) are the result of almost 5 months of work. Obviously I have been busy handling a few other tasks, too.

View attachment 165841

View attachment 165842

View attachment 165843

View attachment 165855

View attachment 165856View attachment 165857View attachment 165859View attachment 165860
Your patience and carving ability over the five months produced an excellent return. Beautifully well done!!! PT-2

hello , Jimmy my eye has fallen on this ship. I too plan to scratch build this ship.The book by Ancre , Jean B. and Hubert B..But let us start buy getting the book here .Just ordered it today. Your ship is very nice , beautiful even.

Thanks Smelly. I think that's exciting, and am very much looking forward to having another scratch builder along on this adventure. I'll definitely be following your build. Please don't hesitate to get in touch if there's anything I can do to help.

As of March, 2020, I along with most of the occupants of this planet, found myself with more time on my hands than usual. Thank heaven for ship modelling ! So the decision was made to rotate LA SALAMANDRE end-for-end and go to work on the stern decorations. Scratch-building requires as much or more time to be spent engineering each piece as in making it. So the following photos (OF STERN DECORATIONS ONLY) are the result of almost 5 months of work. Obviously I have been busy handling a few other tasks, too.

View attachment 165841

View attachment 165842

View attachment 165843

View attachment 165855

View attachment 165856View attachment 165857View attachment 165859View attachment 165860
Hallo Jimmy,
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Enjoy your day
Birthday-Cake
Hope to see soon some updates of your great Salamandre .....

But note that a ship like La salamendre for scratch building as a first atemp would be quite a challenge... I would be starting with some thing more basic like the La Jacinthe. It is a lot similar in construction but is POB construction, the chalenge being mastering deck and hull. Any opinons would be much appreciated.

Dear Jimmy,
HAPPY BIRTHDAY Birthday-Cake Beer :)
we wish you all the BEST and celebrate the dayExplosionBottle

Back