The Mary Rose by Caldercraft [COMPLETED BUILD]

Tung oil was used on my Sovereign of The Seas hull and it served to enhance the natural beauty of the wood. It does darken it slightly. In my case, I applied the tung oil with a cloth and immediately removed all excess oil with a dry cloth as it can become very sticky if left without wiping. Also, as a safety precaution, wash the cloths used in soapy water and hang to dry as tung oil on a cloth can combust by itself.

Regards,
Bill

I am a big fan of oils, and use them for various type of wood. Frankly, each wood will give a different varnish result if use the same oil. I love both Flaxseed and boiled linseeds oil (technically the same linnen seed). On a super clean surface (without any dust left, this is IMPORTANT), with close or brush, I liberally put oil and leave for 15 minutes. Then, with a cloth, I remove the excess and let it completely dry more than 24 hours. Repeat as needed, the same procedure until you satisfy. Just make sure there is adequate dry time between the coats.

Tung oil was used on my Sovereign of The Seas hull and it served to enhance the natural beauty of the wood. It does darken it slightly. In my case, I applied the tung oil with a cloth and immediately removed all excess oil with a dry cloth as it can become very sticky if left without wiping. Also, as a safety precaution, wash the cloths used in soapy water and hang to dry as tung oil on a cloth can combust by itself.

Regards,
Bill
Sounds good thanks

I am a big fan of oils, and use them for various type of wood. Frankly, each wood will give a different varnish result if use the same oil. I love both Flaxseed and boiled linseeds oil (technically the same linnen seed). On a super clean surface (without any dust left, this is IMPORTANT), with cloth or brush, I liberally put oil and leave for 15 minutes. Then, with a cloth, I remove the excess and let it completely dry more than 24 hours. Repeat as needed, the same procedure until you satisfy. Just make sure there is adequate dry time between the coats.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Very good end result! I like the way planks lay with a spacer or beveled edge of the plank. Can you tell us how this was achieved?
Well I saw a ship planked this way somewhere when I was researching my last model Sovereign of the Sea and I kind of liked it mainly cause it’s an easy way to plank. I started with 4 or five planks running horizontal then lay one kind of laying naturally halfway between those and the keel. Then work planks up and down from that middle one. I also start a plank at the keel and work to the middle plank also making sure that no plank is forced, all lay natural. When they need to separate I put in stealers so they continue to lay naturally. Also couldn’t do it without the right tools. Can’t live without my miter snippers, Amati plank bender and best of all my mini plane. Hope this answers your question

67E77C58-9ABF-43F4-B9C8-8F762A16B65C.jpeg8BBD49D5-9413-45D7-88EE-AD7032955EAA.jpeg78E18026-5B21-4D8A-B5A2-37E3F5F98E15.jpegDD5F73BB-12CC-4219-BB94-391465334853.jpeg6B4EA620-855C-4ECE-8277-D7392161D3C2.jpeg0A637010-539E-464F-A2A7-F259E0D8C2E3.jpegA39F93D9-1AA3-4510-A6A8-3CCDD49547E1.jpeg38D4B5EE-1C1F-49C3-AF93-09BA034C5FEF.jpegC9757D8B-8588-4710-B7AA-8CE7316EBE96.jpeg

Did some interior work cleaned things up a bit added some prepainted planks. Kinda stole Graham’s paint scheme with the yellow. Hope you don’t mind cause they say imitation is the highest form of flattery and Graham your Mary Rose is stunning

Not at all! Looks like you are coming along in leaps and bounds and she's coming together nicely. Looks like I won't be in the shipyard for a couple of days as the bloody wind has snapped some fence posts - woodwork on a larger scale, I guess.

Last edited:
Back