The Model Dockyard closing

Jimsky

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Very sad news. Many of us used this valuable resource for spare parts, even kits.

Important Announcement

I started the Model Dockyard way back in 1987. After 33 successful years, I have finally decided that now is a good time to take and enjoy an early retirement.

As of the 5th of January 2021, The Model Dockyard is now closed. I will continue to monitor email should there be any problem with orders recently shipped in the days and weeks before this announcement.

I would finally like to take this opportunity to thank our 80,000+ customers for their continued support over all these years and I wish you all the best and good heath for the future.

Nick Tonkin

Very sad news. Many of us used this valuable resource for spare parts, even kits.

Important Announcement

I started the Model Dockyard way back in 1987. After 33 successful years, I have finally decided that now is a good time to take and enjoy an early retirement.

As of the 5th of January 2021, The Model Dockyard is now closed. I will continue to monitor email should there be any problem with orders recently shipped in the days and weeks before this announcement.

I would finally like to take this opportunity to thank our 80,000+ customers for their continued support over all these years and I wish you all the best and good heath for the future.

Nick Tonkin

Thank you sir for all the years.

Important Announcement

Nick Tonkin

Wishing you all the best in your retirement. Hope you enjoy the new chapter in your life . Be safe

I know Nick closed down last year but can anybody advise me how to get in touch with him or inform me as to whether anybody took over his stock.

Paul.

I know Nick closed down last year but can anybody advise me how to get in touch with him or inform me as to whether anybody took over his stock.
Paul, such information I suspect would be private. Do you look for specific parts\tools or just out of curiosity?

Hi Jim,

I bought some 4mm ladder sections from him a couple of years ago but wanted 6mm which he didn't have in stock at the time. He then took delivery but I didn't get round to ordering them.

Paul.

Hi Jim,

I bought some 4mm ladder sections from him a couple of years ago but wanted 6mm which he didn't have in stock at the time. He then took delivery but I didn't get round to ordering them.

Paul.

Hi Paul

Who was the manufacturer? If they were Scalelink, someone else has taken over many of their products and you have to order direct

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

I'm not sure who Nick got his supplies from but I'll check out Scalelink and see if I can come up trumps.

Kind Regards,
Paul.

Hi Paul

A lot of the Scalelink products were taken over by a company called Fretcetera. I am assuming your ladders were etched brass

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hi Paul

A lot of the Scalelink products were taken over by a company called Fretcetera. I am assuming your ladders were etched brass

Kind Regards

Nigel
Hi Nigel,
I went onto the Scalelink website yesterday and found some information regarding that. It says that the frets were taken over by a lady who worked at Scalelink so I've emailed her. Hopefully she will have what I need.

Kind Regards,
Paul.

Hello, I was wondering if anyone might be able to help. My grandad passed away in 2004, just before he passed he was building a model boat which he never finished. I believe has was working off some plans he purchased from the model dockyard, as I have a invoice for some plywood from there, and one page from the model dockyard catalogue dated April 2003. He started building it but never finished unfortunately. I'm looking to try and find out what plans he was working to so I can continue his work. But I don't have much information I'm afraid. I've attached images of everything I do have in the hope someone might be able to help. Thanks in advance.

PXL_20230410_205517536.jpg

PXL_20230410_205513199.jpg

PXL_20230410_205454756.jpg

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Do you have any other clues? Unless someone has built the exact same model then it is almost impossible to make an educated guess.Nick Tonkin used to retail probably the biggest selection of plans in the UK. Without a list of all the plans he stocked then process of elimination is ruled out.

The simple construction hints ex Model boats or Marine modelling magazine plans.

Sorry I can't be more help

Kind Regards

Nigel

No I don't have any other clues I'm afraid, I was hoping someone has a copy of the April 2003 catalogue. I'm thinking maybe the model he was building was in that catalogue since that's the only piece of paper I have.

Many thanks
Jim

Can you post a picture of the hull upside down Jim?

One from the bow and one from the side would be very help. When I get some time, I will see what I can find

Kind Regards

Nigel

Believe it or not Jim I think I may have found it.

Sarikhobbies.com is now the UK distributor for many of the plans that came free with Models Boats/Marine Modelling magazines.

Have a look at their website and the reference is MAG M 2009 and the vessel is called Giacomo

Kind Regards

Nigel

I think you have found it! Do you already have the plans?? Or are you comparing the image on the plans (See attached image) ?? I'll purchase these later today and do some measurements to confirm.

Thank you very much for you help, tbh I didn't think I'd ever find out what plans he was originally using. But it's looking promising!

Screenshot_20230412-101433.png

I think you have found it! Do you already have the plans?? Or are you comparing the image on the plans (See attached image) ?? I'll purchase these later today and do some measurements to confirm.

Thank you very much for you help, tbh I didn't think I'd ever find out what plans he was originally using. But it's looking promising!

View attachment 368729

Hi Jim

I haven't got these plans.The giveaway was the holes in the bulkhead inline with the step in the deck that accommodate the motor and reduction coupled with the side profile;)

Kind Regards

Nigel

Back