The next build, Paddle Wheel Steam Ships, maybe?

I managed a to stop in at one my favorite Hobby shops (Bluejacket) yesterday. I wanted to take a look at the MV Portland model. I’ve been contemplating that versus the Mount Washington from Dumas.

C5E7B190-1A61-47DE-9CD5-773E07FBD265.jpeg
93E409F1-12C7-4B5B-A9EC-9289F1404EF7.jpeg

I can’t make up my mind between the two. I think we will make a trip later this month to the Shellburne Museum in Vermont to take pictures of the restored Ticonderoga Paddle Wheeler, another possible build.

A9A65900-83FC-4698-AC96-C0DF4BAE6300.jpeg
Have any members built any of these?

Jan
the restored

Last edited:
I’d be interested in a build log for one of these. I’ve been thinking about doing one too. They are as beautiful as they are historic. Besides, masted sailing ships of the 1800s (and before) are heavy in detailed rigging and I could use a break from them once in a while. I think a heavy focus on rigging creates one-dimensional thinking for me in that I am always thinking about how I will manage the rigging within every other model process.

starting from scratch opens up a lot of possible subjects and scales to work in.

I have a nice little paddle river boat the Thomas Edison plans I drew.

Thanks Dave, is there a link to your Thomas?

That thread is a fabulous history lesson.

I think I need to complete a couple more builds before I attempt scratch building.

Jan

Last edited:
I think you develop more skill with scratch building,its not harder just more thinking involved therefore more time consuming

I will post drawings of the Thomas
[/QUOTE]

That will be great.
I've always liked Paddle Wheelers but never thought I would be looking to build them. I enjoyed building the 1799 Enterprise and my other two builds
but stared looking at steamships as a another build project.

Jan

I've always liked Paddle Wheelers but never thought I would be looking to build them. I enjoyed building the 1799 Enterprise and my other two builds
but stared looking at steamships as a another build project.

me too I was a big fan of the sailing war ships but got hooked on steam. I love the machinery, engines boilers it gives a brand new area to model. at one point I started to think you know all these war ships are starting to look alike and there are so many different and interesting subjects out there. even available kits are limited many different manufactures but of the same ships over and over.
I even considered a chunk of wood for a dugout canoe.
What got me thinking is the model railroad hobby those guys model everything from dirt to buildings. time to expand

canoe1.jpgcanoe2.jpg
so I would consider scratch building, if you built a kit you surly can scratch build

Last edited:
You scratch-build guys are great. Not sure I’ll ever get to that point but I enjoy the heck out of reading the logs and looking at the photos. Seems there are a lot more manufactured work-around parts needed, as well as creativity.

Good on you

You scratch-build guys are great. Not sure I’ll ever get to that point but I enjoy the heck out of reading the logs and looking at the photos. Seems there are a lot more manufactured work-around parts needed, as well as creativity.

Good on you

if you are a member here and built at least one kit your at that point of scratch building anything you want

Hi Dave, I am finding out doing my first scratch build (LE ROCHEFORT, so far comming along fine so far if it continues this way I am hooked, there is one big problem as I see it that is help from members of SOS as i have posted i have some problems and have asked for help some answered but not to my direct question if more help was forth comming maybe more first time scratch builders. THANKS Don

More research. I ordered the plan package for the Mount Washington from Dumas. The package includes the build instructions, a profile and top down plan and pictures of the various build steps.

9EA64FB4-E959-40E3-B936-8EB0E4E05D18.jpeg
CDF092FD-C004-4884-91E3-62E76A87F539.jpeg
2016B172-6BCC-4DF4-B57B-07420216609B.jpeg
It will take a bit of time to work my way through all of this information.

In the meantime I’m continuing gathering information on the Portland.

Jan

I am also interested in building a steam paddle and there are a few to choose from in kit form. I just do not have the experience in building anything like that from scratch - I would not even know where to start.

M. Expo has the Chaperon. Ocre has the MS River, and I think I saw a Mantua (which is rather large at 36+" ??) There is also Robert E Lee, but I can't remember off the top of my head who has that in kit.

Since I live only 3.5 hours from New Orleans, I have access to the Creole Queen Paddle, Natchez Paddle, and now they have the RIverboat Louis Armstrong.

Back