The other Eric's HMS Blandford Cross Section - 1:48 - Scratch build

Got my HMS Blandford plans from @Donnie today and I'm going through them carefully and thinking of all the new tools I can justify with this project. :cool: Seriously though, there is a lot here to absorb. I'll be easing into this as I finish up my 2nd build and reading all the logs very closely. This will only be my third, and my first go at POF or scratch---quite intimidating, but I'm just gonna take a deep breath.....and go tool shopping!!! No, seriously....

Last edited:
If you have seen it enough before, remember key is to have all plans printed "actual size" and at same time and from same printer.

This will ensure you get consistent measurements for the full project.

Also take measurements from plans, not the Bill of Material, it is a reference not fact.

Have fun and as I have learned that there is no wrong way, just your way to do things.

With your skills you should have no problem other than room for all the tools you will want to buy.

My next thing besides a new house and large work room will be a nice mill and lathe, most likely a Sherline set.

My next thing besides a new house and large work room will be a nice mill and lathe, most likely a Sherline set.

Yeah, I think a disc sander is first. I already have a small scroll saw and micro lathe, but I have been eyeing that cheap Proxxon mill. I notice in the last few weeks it jumped up in price everywhere though--DOH!

I talked to Donnie in depth about what and why he bought the Sherline set as complete package. He has video using mill to cut the keel frame slots!

I have disk sander and spindle sander from Harbor Freight. Work well but need to find a way to slow sander speed down. Fast speeds eat up wood fast!

There is one company who makes disk sander with built in speed control.

Of course a good shop vac is a must for dust control!

I talked to Donnie in depth about what and why he bought the Sherline set as complete package. He has video using mill to cut the keel frame slots!

I have disk sander and spindle sander from Harbor Freight. Work well but need to find a way to slow sander speed down. Fast speeds eat up wood fast!

There is one company who makes disk sander with built in speed control.

Of course a good shop vac is a must for dust control!
Here is a very affordable little disk sander with variable speed that I use as much as my Byrnes sander!

Here is a very affordable little disk sander with variable speed
Thanks, Dave (@DocBlake ). I remember when you posted that and I will probably pick one up when my wood for the Blandford arrives. The other big item is a table saw. Can't quite swing the Byrnes on that one, but I think the Proxxon FET looks like a reasonable substitute.
Cheers!
Eric

Last edited:
I'm already planning a scratch Salamandre Bomb Ketch, so I ordered extra! ROTF

Like I said in post #1, easing into this build. Metaphorically, I'm just about at that point wading into the ocean where the cold water is about to hit your nards. :eek:
Just deep enough to have a shark bit them off if not careful!

Back