The "Real" HMS Victory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donnie

Systems Administrator
Staff member
Systems Administrator

I will post many HMS Victory models to choose from. Ok, so why the HMS Victory. I am choosing this model as it is always has been somewhat of a favorite for all, from Kids, to Adults. From Wooden to Plastic, and even Paper Stock.

It has been brought to my attention a few times of latest rhetoric and grandiloquence about piracy and keep it real, etc.

So, back to this point of "Real" - Here I present with many "versions" as I have read one person put it on another forum. Due to the privacy, I will not post the link to that topic to protect someones innocence.........Piracy has now been replaced with "versions". However, I guess as to the author or writer, it is convenient to use the term that best fits their drama.

So, without further delay, here are some HMS Victories to choose from as you can see their are so many "versions". (really ?) versions / piracy.......piracy / versions.... getting dizzy here.

But just don't let any of these step on anyone's toes, then it becomes Piracy - Oh my, or is it versions.... !!!

Oh, so if you want to see the "Real" HMS Victory, it is parked at the

Address: Main Rd, Portsmouth PO1 3LJ, UK
Length: 227′
Construction started: July 23, 1759

Below are the MODELS of it (...and to show that I am not partial to any, at some point, I will choose one of these to build and to buy for my personal enjoyment - )

WOODEN -------------

HMS Victory
DeAgostini Subscription Build
https://www.model-space.com/us/build-hms-victory-ship.html
A post from DeAgonstini
Difference between the Deagostini and Artesania Latina HMS Victory
The DeAgostini kit is based on the original AL design which is where it ends. It has many improvements
in terms of accuracy content, the wood content is similar.

HMS Victory
Billing Boats Item # B498

HMS Victory
Caldercraft HMS Victory 1781 1:72 Scale

HMS Victory
Corel Model Ships Item # SM101
Corel Model Ships Item # SM23

HMS Victory
Mamoli Item # MV56
Mamoli Item # MM12 1:350
Mamoli Item # MV27 (Vintage)

HMS Victory
Artesania Latina Item # AL22900

HMS Victory
Mantua / Sergal Item # 782 1:78 Scale

HMS Victory
Mantua / Panart Item # 738

HMS Victory
Constructo 1:94

HMS Victory
Mantua Item # MM776

Amati Victory in 1/64

we can't leave out those China folks either. It seems they got into the act as well !
HMS Victory
4h model China Scale 1:72

HMS Victory
ZHL Scale 1:72

If you don't like wooden, then here are some Plastic ones -- YaY !!
PLASTIC -------------
HMS Victory
Heller Frabrique en France
https://www.heller.fr/en/scale-sailboats-model-classic/130-hms-victory-3279510000000.html

HMS Victory
Revell / Monogram Item # 80-5408 (Plastic)
Revell Item # 05408 (Plastic)
Revell Item # 05819 (Plastic)

HMS Victory
Lindberg Item #70892 1/500 (Plastic)

HMS Victory
Airfix Item # A50049 (Plastic)

HMS Victory
Entex Item # 8216 (Plastic)

HMS Victory
UPC Models Kit #5016 (Plastic)

...and lastly, if you really want something different here are a few papers ones too !
PAPER --------------
HMS Victory
Model Kartonowy Poland
Cardboard Paper Model Scale 1:96 (paper)

HMS Victory
Maly Modelarz PAPER CARD MODEL MM 2012 (paper)

HMS Victory
The National Museum
HMS Victory Ship Boat Paper+EPS Foam

Dave Stevens (Lumberyard)

Staff member
Sponsor

No part of this book may be reprinted or reproduced in any form or by any electronic, mechanical, or other means without written permission from the publisher.

how many have seen this in book many time.

What I wonder is libraries have copy machines and people time and again will copy parts of books. It is common and seems quite acceptable. So the difference must be for personal use or fair use or commercial use.

It is said research is defined as use of multiple sources as where plagiarism is from a single source.

There are so may loop holes as Donnie mentioned is it piracy or plagiarism or a version based on other sources. A designer takes a concept, a drawing or even research and creates another version is it now an original?

looking at a book in front of me The ships of Cristopher Columbus from the Anatomy of Ship Series contain no "modeling plans" as such but contain all the drawings that any model builder can use to build a model. So can it be looked at with all the drawings, illustrations and research as an intellectual package, not to be copied?

I just found myself breaking the rules with the Thomas Edison plans, at the time years back the plans were in a private collection with the owner of the collection now passed on so it was not possible to ask about the plans. Looking at the copies there was no name on the plans so who drew them was a mystery, no copyright on the plans, no mention of the source of the original or if it too was a copy. So taking the plans and redrawing them in CAD to create laser cutting files, STL 3D print files for the steam engine and all the frame drawings you might think ok these are my drawings, but are they?

in some cases it is clear something was taken and copied verbatim word for word, timber for timber line for line. That is an easy call. Much of this is not all that clear some say one thing someone else says something different.

Because this is so complicated I nor do I believe anyone else has an answer, but what I do know is we as a ship modeling community should not be pointing fingers or name calling or accusding one another without absolute proof handed down by a court of law.

Much is in the hands of the builders, designers of kits and draftsmen, when someone steps up and says hey that is my work, i am not about to argue or insist what i did is still original. There are 100s of thousands of subjects out there so i say sorry and move on.

most of us are civil and can certainly be gentlemen about what goes on and work through it and resolve issues.

working together is the way to build a bigger and better community of ship model builders, sharing information is a big part of it.

zoly99sask

Admin
Staff member
Administrative
Blandford Group Build

MCKay’s Victory Anatomy book contains exactly the drawings what he was selling in big prints for modellers and those are drawing to build not just “reference “ material ,somebody is trying to twist things around for their own agenda.

Status
Not open for further replies.