The sailing beam trawler Erycina from Vanguard Models [COMPLETED BUILD]

Erycina. Interesting name. Turns out that in the ancient world Venus was the goddess of ‘pure love’. No ‘sex workers’ welcome in her temples. Venus Erycina was the goddess of ‘impure love’. So that’s where they were permitted to worship…. Fishing boat owners had a sense of humor, didn’t they?
Very interesting MikeC.

Erycina. Interesting name. Turns out that in the ancient world Venus was the goddess of ‘pure love’. No ‘sex workers’ welcome in her temples. Venus Erycina was the goddess of ‘impure love’. So that’s where they were permitted to worship…. Fishing boat owners had a sense of humor, didn’t they?
Hi Mike, when I was doing a bit of research about these trawlers and their hardy crews I was amused to discover that the normal size crew would be four,; the Skipper, two men and a boy, however sometimes they carried a second boy. The second boy was listed on the boats books as the 'pleasure boy' . True.
1657775447334.png

These boys look like they could do with a bit of pleasure. JJ.

Hi Mike, when I was doing a bit of research about these trawlers and their hardy crews I was amused to discover that the normal size crew would be four,; the Skipper, two men and a boy, however sometimes they carried a second boy. The second boy was listed on the boats books as the 'pleasure boy' . True.
View attachment 318514

These boys look like they could do with a bit of pleasure. JJ.
The guy on the left has seen some sea miles for sure...

I mentioned that I thought there would be no problem with the supplied pear strip for the second planking, wrong, unlike any pear, (and the laser cut pear in the kit), I have used in the past, this stuff was soft yet brittle with a tendency to flake little bits of the edge. But thats life and I think it worked out ok in the end, it just took longer to attach than I thought it would.
I think Vanguard Models use these little fishing boats to try out different ideas and I quite like the way that the keel and posts have been made up. To either side of the 2mm mdf they add a 1mm strip of pear. This is added after the first planking and forms a sort of rebate for the second planking. Saves a lot of time and looks neat. IMG_20220713_083936.jpg

This set me up for the second planking. The following pics. show up the little trawler's fine lines and now with a final sanding she will be ready for the painting of her outer hull. Interestingly this is the first build I have ever been able to put on all the planking without resorting to soaking the planks or heat bending them so maybe that pear isn't so bad after all. Deck and fittings next. JJ.

IMG_20220713_210638_burst_01.jpgIMG_20220718_211734.jpgIMG_20220718_211800.jpgIMG_20220718_211906.jpg

IMG_20220718_211828.jpg

Beautiful planking, Jack! About you being able to do the planking without soaking or pre-bending the planks - I could only wish! :D

Just a few pics. showing a bit of painting and the first of the deck furniture. I will try to age the machinery a bit then leave the hull for a while and think about the masts and sails. Still to decide whether to show the sails furled or full on. The trawler's punt is just sitting on the deck, from the photos of this type of trawler it seems that the wee boat is either towed or just lies upside down on the starboard side of the deck, not like the RN.

IMG_20220723_142947.jpgIMG_20220723_143024.jpgIMG_20220723_143044.jpgIMG_20220723_143120.jpgIMG_20220723_143208.jpgIMG_20220723_143547.jpg Don't know what I will do with it yet. JJ.

Red sails, no sunset.
Hi folks,
Spent the week beginning work on the masts and spars and in between times made a start on the sails. The kit comes with a set of cotton like material sails for free, but I really do not like them, scaled up would be like hanging a giant soda farl on your gaff! Instead I went for some 18.0 gms per sq. metre silkspan, not the thinnest but then again not the dearest. As for the colour? Who knows, I went for a mix of scarlet, brown and red oxide, hoping for something dark and dirty,(did I really say that?),anyway I think it turned out ok.IMG_20220730_123244.jpg

The woodwork as you can see is mostly finished, I painted it with clear matt with A little bit of weathering at the ends.
IMG_20220730_123257.jpg

I started with the mizzen mast and using the rings provided and by punching some holes for 0.1 thread I attached the mizzen sail to the gaff.
IMG_20220730_094704.jpg
Since this one of the sails I want to show furled I then soaked the whole sail with cold water and when it softened I eased the gaff down towards the boom and tied it of, as in the pics below.IMG_20220730_123608.jpgIMG_20220730_123806.jpgIMG_20220730_123823.jpg
Being a commercial fishing boat I am not too concerned how neat it is. In fact looking at the pictures I have found of 19th century trawlers it is becoming clear that by the time the photograph of Erycina entering Plymouth Barbican at the beginning of this log she is not in the first flush of youth, I hope to be kinder on her (slightly). Anyway, although no where near finished, I couldn't resist popping the mast on her and here are some pics..

IMG_20220730_124133.jpg IMG_20220730_124353.jpgIMG_20220730_140929.jpg IMG_20220730_140956.jpg

To my eye this wee sail looks more natural than I could make with textile, now how to make a realistic looking trawl net, hummm..

IMG_20220730_140956.jpg

Very good work, Jack. that furled sail looks like a picture taken of a real ship! Thumbsup

Red sails, no sunset.
Hi folks,
Spent the week beginning work on the masts and spars and in between times made a start on the sails. The kit comes with a set of cotton like material sails for free, but I really do not like them, scaled up would be like hanging a giant soda farl on your gaff! Instead I went for some 18.0 gms per sq. metre silkspan, not the thinnest but then again not the dearest. As for the colour? Who knows, I went for a mix of scarlet, brown and red oxide, hoping for something dark and dirty,(did I really say that?),anyway I think it turned out ok.View attachment 320990

The woodwork as you can see is mostly finished, I painted it with clear matt with A little bit of weathering at the ends.
View attachment 320991

I started with the mizzen mast and using the rings provided and by punching some holes for 0.1 thread I attached the mizzen sail to the gaff.
View attachment 320992
Since this one of the sails I want to show furled I then soaked the whole sail with cold water and when it softened I eased the gaff down towards the boom and tied it of, as in the pics below.View attachment 320993View attachment 320994View attachment 320995
Being a commercial fishing boat I am not too concerned how neat it is. In fact looking at the pictures I have found of 19th century trawlers it is becoming clear that by the time the photograph of Erycina entering Plymouth Barbican at the beginning of this log she is not in the first flush of youth, I hope to be kinder on her (slightly). Anyway, although no where near finished, I couldn't resist popping the mast on her and here are some pics..

View attachment 320996 View attachment 320997View attachment 320998 View attachment 320999

To my eye this wee sail looks more natural than I could make with textile, now how to make a realistic looking trawl net, hummm..

View attachment 321000
Dear Jack , great progress, The hull, its shades and its sails look really beautiful

Hi Jack. I am a little late stepping in. I like the build of your trawler very much. And it’s inspiring very much. Because probably my next build will be a Dutch ‘Haring Logger’ from Vlaardingen. I was born there and my grandfather was used with this ships.
Probably this VL.27 +\- 1900:
94BEDFD5-0556-420C-9110-A0F6ACA1929F.jpeg
Looking forward to your next posts!
Regards. Peter

Hi Jack. I am a little late stepping in. I like the build of your trawler very much. And it’s inspiring very much. Because probably my next build will be a Dutch ‘Haring Logger’ from Vlaardingen. I was born there and my grandfather was used with this ships.
Probably this VL.27 +\- 1900:
View attachment 321896
Looking forward to your next posts!
Regards. Peter
Hi Peter, Thank you for your interest. That is a great looking picture you posted, those Haring Loggers look quite a long boat with a large space between masts so I imagen that their drift nets where huge! Like the Plymouth trawlers she looks very strongly built. How old is the one in the picture? Is she steel construction?, it looks like it in the picture.
I live in Carrickfergus Northern Ireland, a town that claims the oldest shipyard in Ireland and they started building steel hulls in the 1880's the yard was owned by a shipwright called Paul Rodgers and probably his best know ship was a three mast schooner called 'Result' her hull is now in the transport museum over here1659759916087.png
I plan to build her some day. Good to hear from you JJ.

Hi Peter, Thank you for your interest. That is a great looking picture you posted, those Haring Loggers look quite a long boat with a large space between masts so I imagen that their drift nets where huge! Like the Plymouth trawlers she looks very strongly built. How old is the one in the picture? Is she steel construction?, it looks like it in the picture.
I live in Carrickfergus Northern Ireland, a town that claims the oldest shipyard in Ireland and they started building steel hulls in the 1880's the yard was owned by a shipwright called Paul Rodgers and probably his best know ship was a three mast schooner called 'Result' her hull is now in the transport museum over hereView attachment 321948
I plan to build her some day. Good to hear from you JJ.
Hi Jack. That 3-mast schooner 'Result' looks great. It would be a lot of fun to build her.

The VL.27 is from just after 1900, with a riveted steel hull. In the photo, a suspected repair is visible just behind the center with the large rivets.
Unfortunately, very little information is known about this logger.

About her nets: The Dutch 'loggers' are inspired by the French 'Lougre'. Especially to catch the herring with a long 'vleet':
1659787271438.png
(Sourche: Dutch Wikipedia)
In Vlaardingen, in the harbor nearby the museum, there is this from 1926 restored VL.92 'Balder':
1659788452736.png
She is the oldest sailing sail logger in the Netherlands. Such a small ship with that amount of sails.
But now it's back to your trawler Erycina ......
Regards, Peter

Hi Jack. That 3-mast schooner 'Result' looks great. It would be a lot of fun to build her.

The VL.27 is from just after 1900, with a riveted steel hull. In the photo, a suspected repair is visible just behind the center with the large rivets.
Unfortunately, very little information is known about this logger.

About her nets: The Dutch 'loggers' are inspired by the French 'Lougre'. Especially to catch the herring with a long 'vleet':
View attachment 321971
(Sourche: Dutch Wikipedia)
In Vlaardingen, in the harbor nearby the museum, there is this from 1926 restored VL.92 'Balder':
View attachment 321974
She is the oldest sailing sail logger in the Netherlands. Such a small ship with that amount of sails.
But now it's back to your trawler Erycina ......
Regards, Peter
Peter love it.

Every time I work on this little trawler there is a smile on my face. The last couple of days I have been working on the boats sails and I couldn't help but try them for a fit. My ambition was to build something a bit like the picture of Erycina returning to her berth in Plymouth's Barbican. And although there is still a lot to do here are some sneak peaks of where I am at the moment.

IMG_20220807_163011.jpgIMG_20220807_163032.jpgIMG_20220807_163048.jpg
IMG_20220807_162947.jpg

Also I have been toying with adding a beam trawl so I scratched one out, still not sure about the net but it doesn't look too bad tried on Le Rustique ,an old cheese carrying barge! Cheers JJ.
IMG_20220807_081845.jpg

IMG_20220807_162944.jpg

IMG_20220807_162947.jpg

Back