The Santa Maria - Beginning Research

Rarely have I seen models of Caravels similar to the Nina, Pinta, and Santa Maria. I am aware of a kit of the Santa Maria out there in "Ship Modeling World" someplace. None of Columbus' three vessels were remarkable in design or unique in construction, but were typical sailing vessels of the period. So with one model nearing completion, I've decided to venture into uncharted territory (excuse the pun) and begin drafting the Santa Maria for POF construction. Should be easy, Right? At least that is what I thought.

I've located a set of plans on the internet that are quite comprehensive, with one huge exception I simply cannot get my head wrapped around.

Later ship construction shows frames placed horizontally along a line representing the keel rabbet. However, for caravels of the late 1400's, I find something very curious.

plan_6.jpg

The frames actually flow along a curve from stern to stem, varying in height from the keel as a result. Confusion arises when compared to the half-breadth plan that indicates (at least in my knowledge) frames set along the keel rabbet.

plan_5a.jpg
So, here is the part that is doing my head in - the Body Plan

plan_4b.jpg
When comparing Station 13 of the Body Plan to its counterpart on the Half-Breadth Plan, I'm getting mixed signals. The Body Plan clearly shows Station 13 ending at Waterline 2. However, it appears the Half-Breadth Plan shows that station ending at the Keel Rabbet.

Further confounding my understanding is the top half of the Half Breadth Plan - Water Lines 6, 8, 10, 12, and 14. Should these be included in the drafting of the appropriate range of frames.

Something is averting my clear understanding and my ability to form a mental image of how exactly to draft the frames for this model. Is it my preconceived ideas and understanding from having drafted schooners, brigs, etc? Perhaps I simply lack the knowledge and experience. In which case, I present this potential build to the sage advice and expertise of the members of this forum.

Any insight you wish to share would be greatly appreciated and possibly rewarded by your attaining higher levels of ship modeling karma.

Thanks in advance.

Hank Reardon
I have OCD and ADD. Which means everything has to be perfect, but not for very long.

Who is John Galt?

Back