The Shelterdeck

Issue Nr. 2 of the new series of The Shelterdeck is now available as a download! By clicking this link, http://payhip.com/b/NP3m and scrolling down after it opens, you may read the synopsis and content. Should you then wish to purchase a download, a Paypal button is provided for £1.49. The first series was closed after reaching Nr. 9, and the new improved series begun with consecutive page numbers, and a cumulative index. Each issue contains at least one ship plan, ship modelling and historical articles and notes. This issue is 17 pages in length, and contains a GA plan and model building details of Houlder Brother's Rippingham Grange, of 1943, a GA (General Arrangement) plan of the flatiron collier Mitcham, and various other articles covering sail and steam ships.
Note, this is a Merchant Navy publication only, and there is no naval content! I don't believe there is anything like The Shelterdeck, published anywhere in the world! Really, it is a "labour of love" more than anything else. The readership is a very small, but appreciative band of MN enthusiasts!
Bob

Rippingham Grange.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Too bad there are so few kits of this type of vessel wood, plastic or otherwise. Probably better represented in card/paper modeling than anywhere else. I don't have the skills or tools to be able to create models from scratch.

I am convinced that the reason there are so few scratchbuilt models like this, is simply due to people deciding they don't have the skills! It is far easier than you think, and I believe most of you here have the skills. Here is a link to the first issue of The Shelterdeck, that is FREE OF CHARGE: http://payhip.com/b/krO6 There are plans for a small tug in it, (SA Everard) and instructions how to build it.The few modellers who have tried this sort of model have all been successful, and surprised themselves! Personally, I do not have the money, space, time or patience to build large kits. My rigging is all done with fine wire, straightened by stretching it slightly with two small pairs of pliers. Then I cut off the required length. Pick it up in the centre with fine tweezers, dip each end in glue and just place it on the model. Running blocks ar just small blobs of white glue mixed with black paint, and applied with a fine brush. There are no fiddly knots anywhere!
Bob

SA Everard.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back