Not open for further replies.

Donnie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator
Le Rochefort Moderator

The Book of Acts 27:14 - Acts 27:21
This is just part of a story about a Ship Journey. The entirety can be read here Acts 27:1 - Acts 28:1

wreckonrocks.jpg

......Before very long, a wind of hurricane force, called the Northeaster, swept down from the island. The ship was caught by the storm and could not head into the wind; so we gave way to it and were driven along. As we passed to the lee of a small island called Cauda, we were hardly able to make the lifeboat secure, so the men hoisted it aboard. Then they passed ropes under the ship itself to hold it together. Because they were afraid they would run aground on the sandbars of Syrtis, they lowered the sea anchor and let the ship be driven along.
We took such a violent battering from the storm that the next day they began to throw the cargo overboard. On the third day, they threw the ship’s tackle overboard with their own hands. When neither sun nor stars appeared for many days and the storm continued raging, we finally gave up all hope of being saved. After they had gone a long time without food, Paul stood up before them and said: “Men, you should have taken my advice not to sail from Crete; then you would have spared yourselves this damage and loss."

I am sure that this had to be a nerve racking experience. In that last particular verse (the Apostle Paul) had appealed earlier to a Centurion that was in charge of the ship, not to sail !
At some point later on in the story, the Ship did wreck, but all the men were saved and came to shore on an island called Malta.

So, what caught my attention was the fact about how the Centurion did not take Paul's advice. I am sure the Centurion was thinking "who are you to tell me how to run my Ship ?" Eventually, it did happen, the ship broke up and ran aground.

Interesting that how we can take advice from others that we think we are much better than they, or we think we are much wiser than they. Pride can sometimes get in the way of listening to others.... Yes,...on the other hand... what people tell us, we should weigh out with wisdom and discernment. I will say that taking advice from an un-seemingly person could be the right thing to do !

If you ever find yourself in a situation that you need more wisdom and understanding and you come to the point that you really need some intervention, put a little pride to the side, and you might find that God can use any method He wants to reach out to you and give you good direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back