The Shipbuilders Life or lack of it

Peglegreg

Staff member
Forum Moderator

G'day all
I'm starting this thread to see if there are other members in the 'same boar' as me.
I have to stop my Royal Caroline build for a while...... may be 3 months and this is the reason.......
BUMMER BUMMER BUMMER!
We just bought for our 3 lounge room' windows 3 plantation shutters.
Sounds good, hey. But my wife said that we should paint the lounge room first and change the carpet to floating timber floor, and then, we can do our bedroom, as its needs painting (but I can't see that) and also she wants the carpet to change to the timber floor as well.
There goes my hobby time for a month, but then....
.....you know how one job leads to another, well you guessed it. Because the skirting boards around the whole house is tiny and only 8mm wide and 25 high, I have to change the skirting boards in the lounge and bedrooms to new 19mm wide and 62 high. But and this is a big but, all the skirtings flow through out the whole living areas of the house, so I have to change and replace all the skirting for the living areas and the door and windows frames.
The total amount of timber required required for this job is 287 meters. Then it has to painted. And we got 85 square meters of flooring. There maybe enough flooding to do our computer room, we see, and more work!
My wife says that she will paint the rooms, if I do the skirtings etc. We will both do the floors, Luz will be my labourer.
So it looks like my next 2 or 3 months has been planned out for me.
So no more shipwright work for me until that is all done.Thumbsdown
Boo hooSpeechless.
I hope that you all will have a very merry Christmas or whatever holidays you follow.
Happymodeling to you all and please think of me....... slaving away.PoopPoopPoop
Greg

My situation is that i didnt left my house for 8 weeks now. Because of panic attacks and a vertebra that was wrong in my lower back. Now i have a big inflammation in my right leg and the docter cut it open but now there is a new 1 behind the cut so New cut tomorrow and have to keep them open for a week by pushing to get the dirt out. Takes lot of energy with my other diseases. So i build a couple of times a day for an hour and rest in between. Do little things in appartement. We moved in almost 1 year ago and stil have to fix some lamps and plinths. Yesterday i snapped a rib by picking up a paper from the floor. But without my shipyard life isnt fun at the moment. So building is verry important to me every Day. It helps me also trough my panic attacks.

My situation is that i didnt left my house for 8 weeks now. Because of panic attacks and a vertebra that was wrong in my lower back. Now i have a big inflammation in my right leg and the docter cut it open but now there is a new 1 behind the cut so New cut tomorrow and have to keep them open for a week by pushing to get the dirt out. Takes lot of energy with my other diseases. So i build a couple of times a day for an hour and rest in between. Do little things in appartement. We moved in almost 1 year ago and stil have to fix some lamps and plinths. Yesterday i snapped a rib by picking up a paper from the floor. But without my shipyard life isnt fun at the moment. So building is verry important to me every Day. It helps me also trough my panic attacks.
Take it easy mate.
Greg

I'm starting this thread to see if there are other members in the 'same boar' as me.

oh ya
I live in a very old house over 100 years old build from field stone.
well the front tower had a leak so I figured I will look into it what a mess the leak was inside the walls between the outer stone wall and inner wood wall and once the inside wall was ripped out the wood framing was rotted all the way down to the floor joist. I had to pack up my entire little work shop to do the repairs. It is now a year late and my shop is still not set back up.

We just bought for our 3 lounge room' windows 3 plantation shutters.

We don't own a house (YAY!) ...but, Our fridge didn't work well, and to fix required a major repair. The fridge was quite an old so we made a decision to buy new. Nothing really crazy, right? Well, the new fridge came bigger in width (not a problem) and highths. Because the new one is taller than an old, I have to relocate old cabinets. Old cabinets didn't fit new relocated position so we have to buy new! Ikeya around the corner, so few cabinets came home in boxes ready for assembly. Then my wife realised that it will be a good idea to paint the kitchen before the new fridge arrived. So we took out our sitting nook and,...it never made back to his place. We bought a new one! To end up a story, we paint also corridor and dining room.

And all of this started with an innocent broken fridge.

P.S. I took old kitchen cabinets into my room (shop). They shine on the wall now!

Been There Done That to many times, now I have to re do my work shop to acomadate NEW MAN TOOLS OH WELL NEVER STOPS after Christmas, I will start on that, JUST NEED ONE MORE TOLL thanks to DAve gett my luterers best friend and need work stand for the drill press no room in HOBBY ROOM FOR IT so need to move it into living area, IT IS WHAT IT IS. Don

To my brothers down under I feel your pain on cutting grass. I just finished up fall clean up and now will be shoveling snow.:( My daughter bought a house and my son-inlaw is not to handy. He is willing to learn and I do like helping them out, so it's always something. Greg I hope you find time to stop in on forum and take it easy.

...and there is worse! I have to cut the grass! Grrrrrr!
Janos
G'day @janos
I'm lucky there, my wife cuts our grass. :eek: Luckily she only havtado (have to do, for the non Ozzies) the front lawn as our back yard is fully landscaped and there's no grass.Thumbsup
But she's working on the front lawn all the time, fertilizing it etc, so every 3 days she has to mow it or it's too long.
Havagooday mate
Greg

Depending on my heartritm attacks or broken bones or if crohn is active in think on a good Day 3 or 4 hours spread over the Day with sleep in between. On a bad day 1 hour and on bad day in do mostly wood varnish or wood cutting or preperations for good Day.

I'm lucky to get 6-8 hours a week in the shop. I have been retired about a year and I don't know how I ever had time to work, seems like I'm always doing something for somebody. I do like keeping busy though.:)

Jeez, just get a Tivo or Fetch in Australia, give it to your wife, oh and a laptop & social media, then sit her down with a nice chair and a table for her laptop and show her how to watch & record TV and how good Facebook is ( NOT). THEN you can do modelling at night whist she watches shows that she would never watch before because she recorded them and catches up with all her friends on facebook. If that does not work, talk loudly about stuff she does not have any interest in while shes watching her shows or criticize them and she will ask you to either shut up or go off and some something else.... Modeling. BTW weekends, daytime , renovating, repairing things are off limits unless you sneak in a plank or two between jobs ( allows glue to dry).

The four words which make me tremble is when my wife is deeply studying something on the internet and then says 'Have you seen this'? This may be preceded by her asking me where the retractable tape measure is and that is a very bad sign, indeed. You have to love 'em.

Back