Thickness sander

Bought the Luthier's Friend thickness sander when planning to move into scratch building. Unboxed, but never used since I am sticking with kits. Fits on a drill press and is a good affordable alternative to expensive machines. It has bearings in the spindle that protect the drill press spindle, a very precise adjustment mechanism and multiple-grit sleeves. $100 plus $15 US shipping.

Bought the Luthier's Friend thickness sander when planning to move into scratch building. Unboxed, but never used since I am sticking with kits. Fits on a drill press and is a good affordable alternative to expensive machines. It has bearings in the spindle that protect the drill press spindle, a very precise adjustment mechanism and multiple-grit sleeves. $100 plus $15 US shipping.
As far as I understand it is an attachment to a drill press. Without a drill press, you will not be able to use it. Am I correct?

yes Jimsky you need a drill press without one the tool is worthless.
but buying the tool and a drill press you are getting 2 tools in one as apposed to just buying a thickness sander.

but buying the tool and a drill press you are getting 2 tools in one as apposed to just buying a thickness sander.
...agree. However, I assume, you will need a powerful drill press (not necessarily big, just decent power), this will require some dedicated space and power. I mean, in a small shipyard (as the room) it is not an option.

What would you think a good drill press for such a tool should be?

HI BOTTOMDREAMER, I HAVE ONE, HAD IT ABOUT 2 YEARS IT IS A WORK HORSE TOOL FOR ME MY ONLY PROBLEM I CAN CNOT FIND A CORRECT SIZE VACCUM ATTCHMENT TO FIT IT, BUT THAT IS A VERY MINOR PROBLEM, THE MACHINE DOES WHAT I NEED AND PLENT MORE A GREAT BY, MINE COST $220.00 THROUGH AMOZON, AT WHAT YOU PAID I COULD GET ANOTHER ONE AND FREE UP A DRILL PRESSS (JUST KIDDING) THE SANDING DRUMS LAST A VERY LONG TIME HAVE HAD THE SAME ONE FOR A YEAR AND I CAN GET MATERIALS TO 3/64 INCH JUST TAKES A LITTLE MORE TIME THEN THE $400.00 MACHINES, WILL TAKE PICTURE AND SHOW YOU MY SET UP. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON

I HAVE A 9 INCH BECH TOP DRILL PRESS GOT FROM MENARDS AROUND $100.00 WORKS GREAT NOT TO MUCH ROOM, JUST A MARVOLOUS SET OF TOOLS MY DRILL PRESS HAS 5 SPEEDS HAE IT SET FOR 3 AND PLENTY OF POWER ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS NOT TAKE TO MUCH OFF ON ONE PASS THE ONLY REAL DRAW BACK IS MAX ABOUT 2 1/2 INCHES WIDE BUT SATISFACTORY FOR MY USE, GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON

Hallo @baydreamer
we wish you all the Best and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hallo @baydreamer
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back