Thin gratings

I'm quite happy with my gratings so far but there are a few spots where I want to leave a hatch open. I assume they would just lean the grating against the nearest bulkhead. The problem being that my gratings are about 1/8" thick and that seems to me to be a bit on the thick side. How thin have you guys managed to make the gratings? Are there tricks to getting them that thin without them spontaneously disassembling?

They look grate(snicker snicker). Their description says the holes are .3 mm but your comment says the holes are 1 mm?????

I would caution trying to thin down gratings…in scale gratings would be fairly thick not thin…they had to be strong enough to withstand a lot of handling…I would err to the side of a thicker grating assembly…

The ones I made are just over 1/8" thick. More than 6" in 1:48. I'll have to check Steel for the correct scantling.
Yeah 3" thick for a Sloop of War. So 1/16" on the model. Getting tricky to get them that thin. The ones Kurt reccommended are 1/32". Hmmmm.

Back