Thread Serving Machine

I purchased the Syren Serve-O-Matic to serve my ship model ropes. But I found it to be little "clunky". The gears didn't mesh very smoothly and I didn't particularly like spinning it by finger. So...I took their design and beefed it up by adding bearings and metal gears, along with some collars. I added a little turning handle to facilitate the motion. I stuck with their basic design. I only had to buy gears, tubing, bearings and collars.

20210830_150422.jpg20210830_150357.jpg20210830_150328.jpg20210830_150322.jpg20210830_150313.jpg

Got it now. I went to the Syren site and downloaded the instructions to see how it worked. Cool machine. From my archery days I have an arrow lathe that I made from an old sewing machine. I can see some possibilities there:)

I purchased the Syren Serve-O-Matic to serve my ship model ropes. But I found it to be little "clunky". The gears didn't mesh very smoothly and I didn't particularly like spinning it by finger. So...I took their design and beefed it up by adding bearings and metal gears, along with some collars. I added a little turning handle to facilitate the motion. I stuck with their basic design. I only had to buy gears, tubing, bearings and collars.

View attachment 253386View attachment 253388View attachment 253389View attachment 253390View attachment 253391
Nice up grade Philski,

Cheers,
Stephen.

I haven't got to rigging yet but I'm wondering. Is there that much serving on a ship that it justifies buying or building a machine to do it?

I haven't got to rigging yet but I'm wondering. Is there that much serving on a ship that it justifies buying or building a machine to do it?
I started doing serving by hand with lines held tight between two vises. Then, seeing posts and reading some books on rigging decided to serve mst of my rigging where it would have been on the actual ship. My AL San Francisco just instructed to glue the shrouds to the mast. That would not be authentic to me. I find that with this ship and more to come, a serving machine makes it easier to complete and with the correct threads, much more accurate.

Back