Threading Blocks and Deadeyes

I am building the Caldercraft model of the HM Brig Badger and am now up to rigging the yards. This involves much threading of of 2, 3 and 5 mm blocks. Am slowly making progress but was wondering if there are any easier ways of getting the thread through the blocks, outside of waxing the threads and patiently trying to line them up with the holes in the blocks. Also, are there any tricks to keeping the threads taut after they have been thread through the blocks and tied down? Thanks for any thoughts folks can provide.

Another old method used is to dip the end in thin super glue and let dry, then cut at angle and it becomes a self made needle.

Also use very fine drill bit to make sure the hole in blocks and tackle are clear for thread to pass.

I have a set used in my other hobbies that goes down to #60, really small!

Another old method used is to dip the end in thin super glue and let dry, then cut at angle and it becomes a self made needle.

Also use very fine drill bit to make sure the hole in blocks and tackle are clear for thread to pass.

Works great!

Thanks much to all. I tried coating the tread with super glue to make it stiff and that worked very well.

I also tried using a needle threader, but even with a small needle threader, it and the thread inside it were to large to get through the hole in the block.

I am building the Caldercraft model of the HM Brig Badger and am now up to rigging the yards. This involves much threading of of 2, 3 and 5 mm blocks. Am slowly making progress but was wondering if there are any easier ways of getting the thread through the blocks, outside of waxing the threads and patiently trying to line them up with the holes in the blocks. Also, are there any tricks to keeping the threads taut after they have been thread through the blocks and tied down? Thanks for any thoughts folks can provide.

Please excuse above, I hit the send key before finishing. PLEASE DISEGARD

I clamp the tip end of the thread in a small vice then twist while pulling taught and add a spot of CA.This will make the diameter of the thread much smaller. Cut at an angle and it will be easier to thread the block.

I have always had good results with cleaning the holes by hand, using appropriate size bit then threader, or bees wax.. Of course I do all this under my magnified light.

I have used varnish or similar sealer for a stiff needle like end for the thread. You can continue to use the same end just by pulling the thread through.

My brother Arthur, a far better modeler than I taught me to use ordinary white glue to stiffen the end of the line you are trying to thread through the block. Dries fast and does not consist of harmful chemicals.

I use needle file reamers to file clear and ever so slightly enlarge the holes. These files are tapered so when you clear the hole you also set a tapered edge. Then a needle threader should work…

Pengxiaomei Diamond Tipped Bead Reamer, 4 Pcs Beading Hole Enlarger Tool for DIY Jewelry Making

I use CA glue. I dip a 1/4 inch of thread and quick dip in to the CA glue and i twist the end with my fingers till dry. Snip the end at an angle and its like having a needle.

I use this big eye needle.
It is not necessary to struggle get thread through tiny holes.

Hi kurt nice picture of the a10 , served in the raf , first with lightnings then the f4 phantom

The Phantom, an airframe system that could do many different tasking, but did none of them to an excellent level of performance.

What is the old saying "good enough for government work"

I worked on the A-7D Corsair II before working on the A-10A Thunderbolt, aka Warthog.

I even got to mess with an old Buccaneer and tagged our A-7D emblem on the fuselage of the Wing Commander aircraft at RAF Lossiemouth, during a RAF Bombing Completion on awards day, when all the top brass came to see who won what awards.

Back