Time to build again

It has been a few years since events intervened and I drifted away from boatbuilding, but now I am back, and am pleased to be on the forum. My interests are working boats and yachts, the two extremes, I guess. My two favorite builds were the Model Shipways Taurus tugboat and the Mamoli Puritan America's Cup racer. Again, two extremes not only in complexity but in clarity of instructions (hint: I don't speak Italian, and whoever provided the translation had an indifferent command of English. Which made for some confusing -- but often amusing -- reading). Not that I'm judging -- I wish I could speak Italian. But once you've made a few boats

tug1.JPGtug2.JPGtug3.JPG

you can just about go by the plans and skip the manual. I am posting a couple of pictures of the tugboat to show that a simple kit can make a really cool model, especially if you are up to scratch-building some of the parts. Don't roll your eyes. It was really fun to make and I'd do it again. Except now I am working on the Mamoli Britannia yacht. Anyway, hey there, everybody.

Hallo Mike,
what a small beauty !!!!
Your tug is looking extremely realistic - Great
Sending you a warm welcome here on board of our forum.....would be great if you would show us also your actual Britannia project in a building log

Indeed we all like to see progress in pictures; you know what they say; one pic is worth a 1000 words.
I am really impressed with you sea going bed of waves and your smoke stack vapor---ho did you do that? It looks so life like and realistic. Are you an artist or what to get such a good presentation? I am in awe of your ability.
Welcome to the site and hope to see your work in the future.

The smoke? Really sophisticated technique -- stuffed a bit of cotton in the stack and shredded it enough to make a plume of smoke. Bit of black chalk dust to add a little grunginess. Incredibly easy, actually. The water? Some kind of modeling compound -- it's been a few years and I don't recall what brand. I made the general wave texture by pressing with crumpled aluminum foil. I pushed the boat -- if you are familiar with the kit it is a waterline hull -- into the still-soft compound and it created just enough of a bow wave to suggest slow forward movement. Then I fussed with the wake, referring to photos on the web, until it looked pretty good. It took a couple of tries -- I started over a couple of times before I got it acceptable. I painted the water a basic blue and then grunged it up with washes of dirty-looking blacks and browns, and added the white wave-top highlights. Really easy. The base is an overturned wooden box I found at Goodwill for probably less than a buck. I appreciate the compliment.

Back