TITANIC HULL DETAIL ISSUE

Hi all,.
This is my first post on this site and the first time I am attempting a 'Ship of Scale'

So in advance, pleasure to meet you all!

I have just embarked on the 1:200 Trumpeter Titanic and I see lots have people have done the same.

I intend, as far as is practical to Rivet Count this one and therefore, I have a question;

Does anyone know what these details are that I have pointed to in the picture?
I do not think they are the portholes with bars?
20220111_064633.jpg

You can see that I have started drilling out, in particular the sluice holes.
Once I have a bit of headway, I will start to post a Build Log for all to see!

Many thanks
Steve

These are mooring cleats. I don't recall the Titanic having these in pairs in two strakes above each other but they were there. I have the Olympic shell plating plan, I'll have to dig it out again to see if the location is correct. There were several of these on each side.

Peter

Hi Steve, firstly welcome to SOS, it’s a great friendly site.

As mentioned by Olympic1911 they are mooring cleats fitted in a number of different locations, flush with the shell plating. They were fitted with either a horizontal or vertical bar. Those with a vertical bar were larger for ‘low moorings’. The primary function of the cleats was for the mooring of tenders along the ship side.

These were not for the Titanic’s mooring lines, which comprised (as in all ships) bow, stern, breast and spring lines. The ‘pull’ on a ship’s mooring lines is substantial during the mooring process and as she lays alongside.

DE347CF4-65C8-46DB-AC72-9A69EB2F1083.jpeg

This is fantastic!
Thank you!
Totally Cheeky, you don't have the port side do you?
I am struggling with the location of the portholes too and this will help!

Steve,
You might find the following site useful for plans etc. if you are going the rivet counter approach.

There is also Hahn’s Titanic plans:

There wasn't a plan of the port-side. Portholes shown as a circle are on the stb-side only. Those shown as a circle with a vertical line are on both sides and those indicated with dashed lines are on the port-side only. Other details which were specific to one hull-side only are indicated in the plan. Nonetheless there were still some on-site alterations which weren't later recorded and which aren't shown in plans.

Hi all,.
This is my first post on this site and the first time I am attempting a 'Ship of Scale'

So in advance, pleasure to meet you all!

I have just embarked on the 1:200 Trumpeter Titanic and I see lots have people have done the same.

I intend, as far as is practical to Rivet Count this one and therefore, I have a question;

Does anyone know what these details are that I have pointed to in the picture?
I do not think they are the portholes with bars?
View attachment 281906

You can see that I have started drilling out, in particular the sluice holes.
Once I have a bit of headway, I will start to post a Build Log for all to see!

Many thanks
Steve
Hi Steve,
I see members have already answered your query on the mooring points, so won't bother repeating their valued responses. Just want to say good luck with the build and I look forward to following your log once up and running.

I'm currently doing this same build, and if you're rivet counting I posted a query the other day on my build log you may find interesting or have a response to.

Best of luck mate.

Cheers,
Steve

I see on you-tube there are videos coving the 1/200 Titanic, including aftermarket hull plating sets in brass photoetch.
There are a couple of really good builds underway on the Tube Bryian. I'm getting a lot of good value out of Ben and Nora on Mid West Model Shop. They are building the model, but also conduct reviews on a lot of the aftermarket bits available for the ship.

Have you started a "Build Log" ? Are you familiar with the process of how to get one started?

If I may, there is something else that confuses me somewhat...

To those who can remember and apologies, this is a UK Analogy from Playschool; Through the Round Window or through the Square Window!

There are threads I have seen that go on about Rectangular or Elongated Side Lights on B&C-Deck as in the Size Diagram here;

Screenshot 2022-01-16 075656.png

But, When I look at Peter's quite frankly amazing Shell Plating Drawing, all the holes are round;

Screenshot 2022-01-16 073202.png

Yours Sincerely, Confused from Rushden... :confused:

Back