Tom's HMS Victory build 1:84 DeAgostini

Hello everyone!

Let me introduce myself. I’m Tom based in Manchester, UK. I’ve been modelling since I was teenager. I have started with plastic models of aircrafts as it was quite easy one. Then I moved to paper models – this gave me a chance to really work on the details and creativity. I’ve been building WW2 ships and planes for some time.

Then it was a break wen I went to the university, started the family, etc. About 10 years ago I came across the DeAgostini HMS victory partwork and that was me hooked. I bought 1st issue, started reading the forum and that was it. I was loving it very much. I had completely no experience with wooden models, I was learning everything on the go. I started following other’s kit bashing and I started doing some mods myself. The build went for quite some time, and I had to put it on hold. I kept all the magazines and parts knowing that I will get back to it sooner rather than later. She went into the loft, survived two house moves and the time had come to get things restarted

After about 7 years I finally got myself to finish it.

During original build I added custom copper plating kit, instead of using a copper tape we were supplied with around 4000 copper tiles which were more to scale. It took absolutely forever to get the hull covered. I had to finish few things regarding copper tiling right now so it is slight difference in tiles tarnishing on the model.

Please have a look at some pics from when I started cleaning the hull and coppering the rudder. There are also pics from the overall state when I left off. The deck planks are made off individual pieces instead as per instructions. More realistic look for sure.

[/url
]

Sit tight for another update ;)

Regards

Tom

Hello Tom. A big welcome to SOS! It is great that you are sharing with us your build of the Victory. The fact that it has taken some time to work on her, is neither here, nor there - the important thing is that you have continued. You are showing us a great-looking model - keep the updates coming. I am sitting tight!

Also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
I am looking forward to see your further progress on your model.

A general comment:
Please use for the photos our own software and upload the photos directly on SOS together with your posts. Please do not use for the photos external places and only links - WE have very bad experience with at the end building logs without any photos.
At SOS they are safe, with best resolution (automatically by the software) and visible for all members at any time

Thanks for all the warm welcome.

I will be adding pictures directly here from now on.

Let's continue with the updates...

Another thing that was long overdue was first 20 gun port lids to fit. I have decided to do some mods as I wasn't happy with what the magazine offered.

There is few thing I managed to do.

1. Magazine explained to use just 20x2mm plank and cut the squares. Well don't forget that hull has a different thickness and I needed to follow the shape of the hull so I glued strip of the 1mm thick veneer plank to follow the line of the hull.

2. Next thing that was bothering me was the rigging of the lids. The magazine wanted to drill hole through the lid and feed the thread - well not for me. I used the hinges supplied but instead of sticking it flat to the lid i bent the eyelet 90 degrees so I can feed the thread through it. Then i used very fine one to tie it there so it looks similar to real thing.

3. Last thing needed adding were eyelets on the inside of the ports to pull them shut. This is very nice detail that cannot be missed in my opinion. Well it was easier said than done as I had to make something small enough. With my chunky fingers I'm super proud of myself for achieving this. It was nice exercise before customising my cannons. I used 0.4mm brass wire and 0.5mm cable ferrule. I wrapped the brass wire around the ferrule and then using fine snips I cut them one by one. This gave me nice small rings (around 1.5mm dia). The eyelet was little more tricky as i was using fine tweezers to wrap wire around it and make the eyelet. I guess everyone has its own method and this worked for me. Last part was assembling them together. I've done it - two fine tweezers and tons of patience and eye strain and it's done. No magnifying glass or specs either so I think my eyesight is still strong [biggrin]

At the end I got it all blackened and it was time for the assembly.

Important note for everyone when dealing with small wooden parts. I always used shellac to seal the wood before sanding and painting. It makes all the difference as wood stays smooth. In terms of painting don't use too much paint as you will cover up all the details. Thin paint and couple of layers and it's done.

Ok enough talking - have a look at some pics...

_DSC9840.JPG

_DSC9612.JPG

_DSC9607.JPG

_DSC9608.JPG

_DSC9610.JPG

_DSC9616.JPG

_DSC9819.JPG

_DSC9825.JPG

_DSC9829.JPG

Welcome to the forums, your work looks great, nice opening to see what's inside the lower decks.

Keep up the postings and progress, and remember the old saying "Rome wasn't built in a day"

Dear Tom
Welcome aboard to the forums, your work looks great and the result is beautiful :)

Hello everyone!

Let me introduce myself. I’m Tom based in Manchester, UK. I’ve been modelling since I was teenager. I have started with plastic models of aircrafts as it was quite easy one. Then I moved to paper models – this gave me a chance to really work on the details and creativity. I’ve been building WW2 ships and planes for some time.

Then it was a break wen I went to the university, started the family, etc. About 10 years ago I came across the DeAgostini HMS victory partwork and that was me hooked. I bought 1st issue, started reading the forum and that was it. I was loving it very much. I had completely no experience with wooden models, I was learning everything on the go. I started following other’s kit bashing and I started doing some mods myself. The build went for quite some time, and I had to put it on hold. I kept all the magazines and parts knowing that I will get back to it sooner rather than later. She went into the loft, survived two house moves and the time had come to get things restarted

After about 7 years I finally got myself to finish it.

During original build I added custom copper plating kit, instead of using a copper tape we were supplied with around 4000 copper tiles which were more to scale. It took absolutely forever to get the hull covered. I had to finish few things regarding copper tiling right now so it is slight difference in tiles tarnishing on the model.

Please have a look at some pics from when I started cleaning the hull and coppering the rudder. There are also pics from the overall state when I left off. The deck planks are made off individual pieces instead as per instructions. More realistic look for sure.

[/url
]
Sit tight for another update ;)
Regards
Tom
Hallo Tom alias @tomganc
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back